Update FlightAware Firehose Input Connector?

Jump to solution
07-21-2020 06:21 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

FlightAware launched Firehose version 21.0:

The latest version of Firehose offers three new data fields within position messages:

• Geometric/GNSS (GPS) Altitude
  • Vertical Rate of Change of Barometric Altitude
  • Vertical Rate of Change of Geometric/GNSS Altitude

We find that safety departments and analysts looking to alert on excessive vertical rates have found this data particularly useful.

These new fields are available immediately to customers already subscribed to position messages. For those customers, the new fields are available immediately (and at no additional cost) by connecting to Firehose version 21.0.

I am at GeoEvent and Server version 10.7...

By default, if we leave the Version line blank, I believe this input sends no version number.  Firehose responds to this by sending the latest version of the message.  For position messages, this includes 3 new fields now.

Here is what I am experiencing since the new Firehose version came out:

• Without attempting to change the version number in the input - After running fine for about 16 hours, the input no longer works. Specifically - Restarting or Stopping and Starting the input does nothing.  It does not create an error or warning in the logs, it does not attempt communication with the FlightAware servers.
  • At this point, if i attempt to enter an older version number (I am attempting to use 20.0) in the input and save, the save screen hangs at that point.  When I close the hung save window and open another session with GeoEvent Manager, I can see that the save did not occur and no version has been saved - and the input still does not work.
  • If the GeoEvent Server (machine) is restarted, the input begins working again.
  • If you then try to change versions (I entered 20.0) within the Input, the input no longer functions.  No errors, warnings and does not make any attempt at contacting the FlightAware servers.  If you remove the version number and save the input, the input will work again (note: this is within an hour of restarting the GE machine.)

I am wondering if there is going to be an update of this connector?  At least a check to see if entering a version number is malfunctioning?

Thanks,

-_Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricIronside
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Adam,

I'm working on updating this connector at the moment.  I've had reports from others that the connector would stop working after an extended period of time. That issue and upgrading to include new fields from new FlightAware API versions are the driving force of the latest update.  The next release will support FlightAware Firehose v21.0 and will support GeoEvent Server versions 10.4 thru 10.8 and also 10.8.1. In addition to stabilizing the long term connection, I'm working to improve performance of the inbound connector. I hope to release the new connector by the end of July, 2020.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

An Update:

The GeoEvent Team‌ has chimed in on the connector's page.  An update is being tested now!!  

Thank you Team!!!

--Adam

0 Kudos
EricIronside
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Adam,

I'm working on updating this connector at the moment.  I've had reports from others that the connector would stop working after an extended period of time. That issue and upgrading to include new fields from new FlightAware API versions are the driving force of the latest update.  The next release will support FlightAware Firehose v21.0 and will support GeoEvent Server versions 10.4 thru 10.8 and also 10.8.1. In addition to stabilizing the long term connection, I'm working to improve performance of the inbound connector. I hope to release the new connector by the end of July, 2020.