Collector App GeoEvent Input Connector

Jump to solution
09-16-2015 01:05 PM
MatthewQuigley
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am looking to track an iPad in real time with a GeoEvent service that utilizes the Collector app as an Input Connector. Is there an Input Connector for Collector? If so, how would a GeoEvent be created to accomplish real time tracking?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Matthew -

The GeoEvent Extension does not have a Collector for ArcGIS input connector per sé. The expected workflow would be to use the Collector for ArcGIS app to add and update features in a geodatabase feature class, then configure a GeoEvent 'Poll an ArcGIS Server for Features' input to poll the feature class and bring the features into GeoEvent. The feature service is the interface between GeoEvent and the features you are editing using Collector.

One downside to using the Collector for ArcGIS to support device tracking is that the Collector needs to be running in the foreground. Otherwise the application does not broadcast the "breadcrumb" locations you want to use as track points. I believe this is still Collector's behavior ... I'm not aware that application was enhanced to allow location tracking while running Collector in the background.

There are alternatives you might want to consider. For example, when developing the tutorial for the NMEA message adapter, I needed a widely available, simple application which would broadcast a device's location using NMEA sentence structures. I found the GPS 2 IP application by CapsicumDreams in the Apple Store. It happened to do what I needed, supporting NMEA messages. There are certainly other applications you could install which would enable you to broadcast your iPad's current location.

Hope this information helps -

RJ

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Matthew -

The GeoEvent Extension does not have a Collector for ArcGIS input connector per sé. The expected workflow would be to use the Collector for ArcGIS app to add and update features in a geodatabase feature class, then configure a GeoEvent 'Poll an ArcGIS Server for Features' input to poll the feature class and bring the features into GeoEvent. The feature service is the interface between GeoEvent and the features you are editing using Collector.

One downside to using the Collector for ArcGIS to support device tracking is that the Collector needs to be running in the foreground. Otherwise the application does not broadcast the "breadcrumb" locations you want to use as track points. I believe this is still Collector's behavior ... I'm not aware that application was enhanced to allow location tracking while running Collector in the background.

There are alternatives you might want to consider. For example, when developing the tutorial for the NMEA message adapter, I needed a widely available, simple application which would broadcast a device's location using NMEA sentence structures. I found the GPS 2 IP application by CapsicumDreams in the Apple Store. It happened to do what I needed, supporting NMEA messages. There are certainly other applications you could install which would enable you to broadcast your iPad's current location.

Hope this information helps -

RJ

MatthewQuigley
New Contributor II

Thanks RJ, I will try it out. However I noticed the GPS 2 IP app is for US only, is there an equivalent for Canada?

EDIT: I found the same app on the Canada Store.

0 Kudos