Trimble Positions Thread - Post Here

11-26-2012 06:46 AM
DaveChamberlin
New Contributor II
I wanted to start this thread as a place for questions.  I have been working with Trimble quite a bit to get this figured out.  Mostly on being able to switch from Analyst to Positions.  It seems like Trimble hasn't caught up to ESRI and the service pack yet, so they have workarounds for compatibility.  Lets hear some of your stories with the new software.
0 Kudos
97 Replies
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II
I hear that the new version of Trimble positions may be announced shortly.  They wouldn't say when but it could be a couple of weeks maybe as soon as a month.  Keep posted.  I would anticipate that the new version would also run natively in Windows 7 as well as for Windows Mobile.  I will be attending the first class to be hosted in Billings, Montana in May 2013.  The trainer says that they will update the training for the new version if it arrives by the time their training starts.

It would be generous if Trimble would share their SDK with developers similar to ESRI shares their SDK  through ESRI Developer's Network.  All you would need is Visual Studio 2008 to create the apps on     both sides for AG 10.1 for Windows Mobile and/or Windows 7.  Programming line for line would be
minimal and would require mainly setting & configuring properties.  We as heavy users of this              technology like myself have been using Trimble hardware/software and ESRI software for 23 years
appreciate this type of programming.

IN KINDRED SPIRIT,
DCUBED

Hi...

Have you looked into the Trimble Positions Toolkit available to members of the Trimble Mobile GIS Developer Community?  It may have what you're looking for.

Regards,

Matt
0 Kudos
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am having difficulty with the Trimble Positions Desktop Add-In (TPDA) tool playing nice with ArcPad Data Manager toolbar within ArcMap 10.1. According to the User Guide for TPDA, I should have different options than what is being shown to me in ArcMap. I attached a screenshot of what I am receiving, but should be getting 3 options instead of the 1 "Create" option.
I have tried de-activating the tools, and restarting ArcMap, then re-activating again, but no change in anything.
It seems they are not communicating w/ each other??

Thank you in advance,

MK

Hi...

I apologize in advance for these obvious questions...

1. Can you confirm that the ArcPad Data Manager toolbar is otherwise functional?  That is, can you use it to check-out data?
2. What version of Trimble Positions Desktop add-in are you using?  It should be the latest.

If the answers to the above questions are "Yes" and "the latest available at trimble.com", then I suggest submitting a support issue through your dealer and/or Trimble Support.

Regards,

Matt
0 Kudos
DarrylSanchez
New Contributor II
Can you send me the screen shot?  The email you sent me does not have the screen shot attached.

Expertuser
0 Kudos
JosephCox
New Contributor II
I have kind of a unique case and I was wondering if you could provide some guidance. I have been working with the fieldAppSample provided with the toolkit and I have successfully created points with custom attributes. I need to add the ability to create a point feature every second and store external sensor values as attributes. With the standard workflow creating the new DataRow and passing it to the mobileCaptureManager, and then starting and stopping a point is too slow. Is there another method of point collection available that better suits this workflow.

-Thanks,

-Joe
0 Kudos
AnasMalkawi1
New Contributor II
Why is it that you can't correct GPS data using more than one CORS base stations? It is common practice, especially for surveyors, to post process using multiple (typically 3) base stations to get better accuracy.
0 Kudos
MadelineBrumberg
New Contributor
Why is it that you can't correct GPS data using more than one CORS base stations? It is common practice, especially for surveyors, to post process using multiple (typically 3) base stations to get better accuracy.

Amalkawi- I am also wondering the same thing.  Our office is currently switching to ArcPad from TerraSync and I am having the same post-processing issue.  My GPS is H-Star enabled but I am unsure of how to process with multiple base stations. 

Thanks for your help!
Maddy
0 Kudos
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
I just posted this in the ArcPad forum because I forgot that this thread existed...

I'm using the latest version of Trimble Positions Desktop Add-in. I found on the Trimble Positions blog that it is possible to share a Jet database between users on different desktop machines in different locations. So I created a Jet database, moved it to a location on our network, and used the Configuration Tool to set my ODBC source to the new location of Jet database. Here's the link to the blog post I'm referring to: http://positionsblog.trimble.com/?p=70 (second to last paragraph).

My problem is that when I log off of my computer and log back in, the Trimble Positions Office Database fails to reconnect and I get the following error message:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25346[/ATTACH]

I noticed in the blog post that I need to be using a UNC path with the Jet database. I tried to input this using the Advanced button on the ODBC Microsoft Access Setup screen (below)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25347[/ATTACH]

and then inputting it as the Default Directory (below)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25348[/ATTACH]

but this didn't seem to change the path of the Jet database, and I still receive the error message.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kerry
0 Kudos
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
Figured out that last problem. The UNC path needs to be in the "Database Name" field on the Select Database screen within the ODBC setup applet.
0 Kudos
LaurenWoodruff
New Contributor
Hello,

I am having difficulty with the Trimble Positions Desktop Add-In (TPDA) tool playing nice with ArcPad Data Manager toolbar within ArcMap 10.1. According to the User Guide for TPDA, I should have different options than what is being shown to me in ArcMap. I attached a screenshot of what I am receiving, but should be getting 3 options instead of the 1 "Create" option.
I have tried de-activating the tools, and restarting ArcMap, then re-activating again, but no change in anything.
It seems they are not communicating w/ each other??

Thank you in advance,

MK

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue.

Thanks
0 Kudos
DarrylSanchez
New Contributor II
How does one connect a GEOBEACON to ARCGIS MOBILE/TRIMBLE POSITIONS?
0 Kudos