Select to view content in your preferred language

Help Needed Re: Mobile Data Collection

04-13-2011 01:07 PM
BradPeters
New Contributor
I am new to this forum, so let me apologize in advance if I say something ignorant, but I need help with the following situation:

I am a Public Works Director for a small municipality and I am trying to figure out a way to integrate ArcGIS mobile in a way that will make some of the services we offer more efficient.

Specifically what I want to do is install some sort of vehicle mounted GPS device in our garbage trucks and utilize them in such a way that while our drivers are on their routes and they see items that need attention (brush to be picked up, clogged storm drains, etc.) they can push a button on the GPS that will identify that location in our system back at the office.  It wouldn't have to update immediately (although that would be ideal), but could be something that could be downloaded to the system once the driver returns to the garage.

One caveat to this idea is that it has to be something simple for the truck driver because I don't want anything that will increase his/her route time or distract them from their main objective, which is to collect garbage.  My ideal scenario would be a mobile GPS that would only require the  push of a button or tap on the screen to collect the data/location.

I have a Trimble GeoXH that I use for GPS-ing storm drains and such, but in my opinion it is not effecient for the idea described above (although I could be wrong).  It has been suggested to use a smart phone that runs Windows Mobile 5 or 6, but I don't know if that will work either (it very well might, but I am not technically savvy enought to know).

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexMahrou
Occasional Contributor
Brad, what you are describing would be a perfect scenario for ArcGIS mobile.  It's an extremely easy to use program.

We used it down in the Gulf of Mexico during the Oil Spill.  We trained the Coast Guard, shoreline cleanup crews, and biologists (most were not GIS guys) on it's use.  The learning curve for this would not be that great for an application that you describe; and if you have the licenses already, the startup cost is cheap. 

You could opt for a GPS Windows Mobile Device (like the Trimble Juno pictured above), a tablet pc, or even a cheap smartphone running windows mobile.

If you need any help in the setup, send me a PM.
0 Kudos
BradPeters
New Contributor
Thanks Alex.  I will check on that.
0 Kudos