Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating a basemap from A Mosaic Dataset without a server

05-08-2013 12:02 PM
BenLand1
Deactivated User
*Note: Working With ArcGIS Desktop 10.1, Mobile Project Center
*Also note: I do not have access to an ArcGIS server or portal

I'm relatively new to the entire ArcGIS Mobile scene. Currently I've been able to create an editable operational layer for my project that will allow me to collect some very necessary data. Unfortunately, I've been unable to figure out how to create an offline basemap from the mosaic/raster dataset that I currently have.

To let you know what I've tried to do so far is to convert my original raster dataset(Aerial view of an area) to a mosaic within my geodatabase and adding it to my Data Frame. After analyzing the mosaic it warned me that I didn't have an overview so I used the toolbox tool to create an overview. I then saved the mxd and used the Mobile Map Cache tool to try and create something the Mobile Project Center could use but it doesn't even recognize the Mosaic dataset as a layer within the Data Frame.

Would there be any way that I could create a basemap from this aerial without any access to a ArcGIS server or create an operational layer of the mosaic dataset that I could add(Which I would just make uneditable)?

Thanks,
Ben
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkHoyland
Frequent Contributor
The mobile map cache tool is for operational layers.

For Basemaps you would need to look at 'Creating a tile package or tiled dataset'
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/windows-mobile/app/index.html#//007v00000038000000
0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Regular Contributor
Mark is correct.
Be aware though you should create a tiling scheme first using the tool Generate Tile Cache Tiling Scheme http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//001700000188000000 and import this if you are using a projected coordinate system. If you use the default tiling scheme ARCGISONLINE_SCHEME it will reproject you tiled cache to web auxiliary sphere and may not line up with your layers in ArcGIS Mobile.

Cheers
Gordon
0 Kudos
BenLand1
Deactivated User
Thank you so much for all the help. The tile schema was where I was messing up at. I was creating a tile package with the online schema which kept giving me an error when adding it to the basemap but that did the trick.

Thanks,
Ben Land
0 Kudos