Select to view content in your preferred language

Mapping County Data

05-27-2015 10:54 AM
KenTennies
Emerging Contributor

Hello,

I'm mapping some county data using the Esri Maps for Excel Add-in.  The spreadsheet I'm using has a simple table with two fields: 1) County and 2) Percentages.

The Add-in accurately suggests I map county data with a layer containing a single color that is shaded darker for counties with higher percentages and shaded lighter for those with lower percentages.  This is a great start, but I have two issues:

1)  When adding data for a county that has the same name as a county in another state, the Add-in places some of my counties in states other than the state with which I'm trying to work.  I can't figure out what to do to make it stay specific to my state, Oregon.  For example, Grant County is being placed in New Mexico, as there is also a Grant County there.  How do I instruct this Add-in to place that data in Grant County, Oregon (i.e. keep all data specific to Oregon or if that's not possible then edit/move individual county data)?

2)  The Add-in automatically calculates shading intervals per my percentage field, but they don't make much sense for my purpose and I don't know how to edit those intervals.  For example, the percentage field in my data contains percentages from 0.55 to 0.83.  The lightest shade shades counties with percentages of 0.55 to 0.59.  The darkest shade shades counties with percentages of 0.76 to 0.83.  Not only is this inconsistent, but I want to customize the intervals from 0 to 1.  How do I edit the intervals so the lightest shade is 0-0.2, next 0.21-0.4, etc. so the shades cover equal percentages?

Finally, as a side question - why does ArcGIS online not let me map counties?  That is not a selectable location type.

Thanks,

Ken

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies