ArcMaps for Sharepoint/ESRI Maps for Sharepoint, which one?

12-02-2014 11:47 AM
JohnRoe
New Contributor

I've read the description of both web parts multiple times but still can't figure out which web part will fit my needs?

I'm developing a SharePoint (2013 on premise)public facing site and would like to leverage some of our maps and data. We currently have some maps hosted on ARCGIS online and we also have a lot of data on our SDE GeoEnterprise DB. I'm not interested in letting anonymous or authenticated users manipulate the data. That will come later, I'd just like to replace my Google map web parts and associated list with existing data we may already have somewhere and show some existing maps.

TIA

John

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I *think* ArcGIS for SharePoint was renamed at version 3 to Esri Maps for SharePoint. On the main page for Esri Maps for SharePoint, the right side has links to help for previous versions. One link is ArcGIS for SharePoint 2.1.1.

Melita

0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

We recommend that you work with the JavaScript-based Esri Maps Web part. This is the web part that provides the tight integration with ArcGIS Online (or Portal for ArcGIS) and is the web part that is being actively developed. The other web part, the Silverlight-based ArcGIS Map Web Part, is no longer being actively developed.

Hope that helps.

Katy

Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™