ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint Foundation -- NOT really Compatible?

01-23-2018 09:04 AM
BillLennon
New Contributor

Hello,

According to the ESRI documentation, they support SharePoint 2013 Foundation (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-sharepoint/foundation-server/install-and-configure/supported-envi...)

Also according to the Documentation, they support NOT using the Secure Store Service (optional) https://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-sharepoint/foundation-server/install-and-configure/configure-maps...

Which is a good thing because SharePoint 2013 Foundation does not come with the Secure Store Service. Yes is "appears" to be there, however it actually is blocked and when you try to configure it you get "not available with this SKU" (e.g. Not available with Foundation).

So when I installed the ArcGIS Map solution, I have to go with the alternative "Create Security Key" option. This worked great.. I was able to configure the Web Part, toss it on a page, view it as guest and the whole works. But then I had someone else try to view the map and they are presented with the "This map has not been configured".

To test my theory, I downloaded a trial version of SharePoint 2013 Enterprise and reproduced the problem.  Basically, if you configure the ArcGIS solution to use the "Create Encryption Key" feature, nobody but that user can see the map. If you adjust it to use the Secure Store Service instead, then other users can view the map (as guest of course).

So when it is all said and done, I'm just hoping I missed something.. How to you allow people to view a Map (as guest) in SharePoint Foundation, when Foundation does not come with the Secure Store Service?

P.S. I am new to this community and when I attempted to create this, I was forced to pick a "Place", but I couldn't create a place "like SharePoint", so I picked the closest thing I could find but chances are.. this is in the wrong place.... sorry about that.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WillHughes2
New Contributor III

This should be addressed in the next release of ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint which is scheduled for April 2018 (v5). 

0 Kudos