Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS GIS in PowerBI sign in button does nothing in a published dashboard

a week ago
Bloomers3166
New Contributor II

Hi,

We are currently facing an issue with logging in to access a map in our published Power BI dashboard, which is powered by ArcGIS for Power BI. Up until last week, everything was working fine. However, it seems that the latest update to ArcGIS for Power BI might have caused connection issues.

When users of the published dashboard attempt to sign in to access the map in enterprise mode, clicking the button does not initiate any action.

Bloomers3166_0-1720568712984.png

Clearing the cookies, is the current workaround as posted in: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-power-bi-questions/issue-with-gis-map-on-power-bi-since-the...

The map works for one day and then when users open the dashboard the next day the button does not work again.

It would be a hassle, to tell users to clear their cookies every day just to access the map. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? Thank you.

We're using Enterprise 11.2

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hello @Bloomers3166 ! Thank you for reaching out about this issue. I apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing. 

I had a look at this workflow, and I am unable to reproduce the issue on my end. I am using Enterprise versions 11.2 and 11.3 to attempt and reproduce it. 

Just to confirm: are you publishing the report or embedding the report? In a published scenario, there should be no sign in dialog whatsoever. In an embedded scenario, you will see a blocking page to sign in if the map contains private data. Lastly, what data is on the map? For my tests, I am using XY values, a public reference layer, and a private reference layer. 

Let's see if we can get this sorted out! Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Bloomers3166
New Contributor II

Hi @AnthonyLatini,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. We're using 11.1, my bad.

Just to confirm: are you publishing the report or embedding the report?
-We're publishing the report to the Microsoft Power BI service (powerbi.com)

what data is on the map? 
-Hosted feature layers that are shared in our organization's groups. Users need to be part of that group to view it. Layers are added using this workflow in PowerBI desktop: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/microsoft-365/latest/power-bi/add-content-from-arcgis.htm

The map in our report was added using this workflow: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/microsoft-365/latest/power-bi/create-a-map.htm

The only difference is that the symbol of ArcGIS maps for Power BI in the guide differs from our PowerBI desktop. (See image below)

Bloomers3166_0-1720702606342.png

The issue persists whether viewing the report in Edge or Chrome.

The issue also appears when opening the .pbix file on the Power BI desktop.

I tried creating a new map on the Power BI desktop and when it asks you to sign in to the ArcGIS account. A 'reading error' pops up. (See image below).

Bloomers3166_1-1720703135896.png

It is the same error as what users reported in https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-power-bi-questions/issue-with-gis-map-on-power-bi-since-the...

The workaround to get it working in Chrome, Edge, and Power BI desktop is by following this procedure every time I restart my machine.  Clear the browser's local storage—ArcGIS for Microsoft 365 | Documentation which is not ideal.

Here are the software versions we are using:
Power BI Desktop version: 2.128.952.0 64-bit (April 2024)
ArcGIS for Power BI version: 2024.1.300.0

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

No worries at all @Bloomers3166 ! Thank you for the detailed response! This helps quite a bit. One thing that I would like to do for troubleshooting purposes is to ensure you are on the latest version of Power BI Desktop. As of writing this message, the latest version is: 

Version: 2.131.901.0 64-bit (July 2024)

As per Microsoft guidelines (which we follow as well), the version of Power BI Desktop should not be more than one month out of date. There have been multiple updates from Microsoft (including the update of our icon) from April to now. I am wondering if the version is incompatible with what is on Power BI Online. 

Also, I would like to confirm that you do not have two versions of Power BI Desktop on your machine. In some cases, you might have the Microsoft Store version as well as the .EXE version. There can be some conflicts with updates and sending information into Power BI Online. 

Ensure that you only have one version installed and that you are on the latest version. Clear the cache in both Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online and then republish the report. 

Give this a try and let me know what happens! 

0 Kudos
Bloomers3166
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick response @AnthonyLatini.

As per Microsoft guidelines (which we follow as well), the version of Power BI Desktop should not be more than one month out of date.

-That is a problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling products in our organization is complicated and involves multiple departments.

Note: The issue is not only present on my machine. Four machines within our team have reproduced the same issues. I will confirm if all of them have the same versions as mine, but I assume we have the same licenses installed.

Also, I would like to confirm that you do not have two versions of Power BI Desktop on your machine. In some cases, you might have the Microsoft Store version as well as the .EXE version. There can be some conflicts with updates and sending information into Power BI Online

-Stupid question, how do I check whether I have two versions? I only looked at add or remove programs in the system settings and only one showed in the results.

Bloomers3166_0-1720739386670.png

0 Kudos
Bloomers3166
New Contributor II

Hi @AnthonyLatini 

Just wanted to update you with the troubleshooting steps that I did so far.

-Uninstalled Power BI desktop
- Deleted the remaining Power BI Desktop files inside this: C:\Users\{User}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop
-Downloaded a new version (Version: 2.131.901.0 64-bit (July 2024)) of the Power BI desktop from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

The issue as expected was fixed for two days and then it returned. The sign-in button is still not responding and when creating a new map element, the 'reading error' still pops up.

Thoughts on how should I proceed?

P.S. I also checked and confirmed that I have only one version of Power BI Desktop

0 Kudos
First_Environment
New Contributor

Same issue.  It was working last week - now cannot log in.

First_Environment_0-1720717520439.png

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@First_Environment - Thank you for reaching out! Can you please provide additional information on this much like @Bloomers3166 has done? Particularly the version of Power BI Desktop, what is on your map, if you have cleared the cache, etc. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
BrianB
by

We are experiencing the exact same issue 5 users currently reporting this with both the June and July releases.  We only have a single version installed on each laptop.  We have tried the clear profile workaround, that did not work.  We have even deleted to folder from the profile and un-installed and re-installed the software again with no luck.  We also have issues with external facing Enterprise Portals that we have.  We can however connect to our Live and Test internal Portals.  We have checked our proxy servers and VPN, they are not effecting the issues as we can turn these off and go direct and still have the issue with AGOL and our external portals.

0 Kudos