View map service attributes in Excel worksheet

12-21-2012 06:33 AM
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor
This is a suggestion for Esri Maps for Office (Excel) to have the capability to view (or even edit) attribute information of a map or feature service.

For example, if I seach for a map (or feature) service and add it to my Excel map, I'd like to be able to (from the layer's context menu) add the service's entire attribute table (or subset of attributes) to a specified cell range inside my Excel workbook.

This would be very useful as a read-only view of the data, and would also be an interesting way of editing (feature service) attribute data as well.  If you modified the attribute information in the spreadsheet their could be a way for users (with sufficient permissions) to push those updates back to the feature service.
4 Comments
ThomasGroßmann
This would also be useful in order to be able to filter data based on the FeatureService attributes. I definitely support this idea.
BenCordingley
Also looking for this feature. It would be a great way to show summaries and charts etc. of your data without exporting.
mrasiukevicius
This would be very handy functionality to support FeatureServices in Excel to view/update feature atrributes.
DanMcCoy

It would be great to have pivot tables, charts, reports, etc. dynamically updated with the latest data hosted in ArcGIS Server, AGOL, portal, etc.