Using mmpk as a basemap on Field Maps app

2 weeks ago
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

Hello GIS friends,

I have side loaded an mmpk file to my iPhone. I see it in Field Maps On Device, but when I go to download an Offline Area project it does not give me the option to choose the mmpk basemap file to download.

Thank you for your help.
Abi

0 Kudos
7 Replies
aayenge2
New Contributor

I'm only trying to georeference because the ESRI-page tells me to. I have no need for it to correspond to reality, I would quite happily just have a vector image in Field Map and use that as a map, if it's possible.

AbiDhakal

I hear you, however Esri says mmpk basemaps can be used in Field Maps. I would like to know how if possible on a specific project. You can side load the mmpk file and it is visible in Field Maps on the On Device section, but I do not see an option to download it to a specific project when you want to go Offline.

Also, in Collector we are able to side load tpk or tpkx for Offline use while also having the option to use Esri's default basemap. Now, with Field Maps it is either or. You either use the side loaded basemap for Offline use, or you go Online. But, if you have to use Esri's basemap to go Offline you have to disable taking 'Tile package offline and enable 'Basemap defined by the web map' from the Field Maps Designer page. Field Maps needs to have the option to go Offline with tpk/tpkx or the Esri basemap without having to reconfigure the thing from the Field Maps Designer page. The reconfiguring takes away one for the other. It is a lousy workflow. This is what Esri does. It gives you to begin with and it takes it away from you.

Thank you,
Abi

0 Kudos
erKay_nv5
New Contributor III

Based off this link:
Prepare maps for download—ArcGIS Field Maps | Documentation
"Copy (sideload) your .mmpk file from your computer to the Field Maps app on your device.

Once the file is copied to your device, the map is designated as an On Device map the next time the app is launched or when the list of available maps is refreshed."

I don't think you can download an offline area, because the mmpk is already on your device. You would have to go into ArcGIS Pro and make an mmpk specific to that project, from what I can tell. An mmpk has its place in workflows (I'm sure, though I never use them), but the specs for it specifically state it cannot be used to collect data, if that's what you are trying to do.

AbiDhakal

@erKay_nv5- Thank you for clearing this.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Never tried a mmpk as a basemap, but I have sideloaded tpk(x) files to my iOS device and can use them as a basemap with a web map OR a mmpk in Field Maps app.

R_

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@RhettZufelt- same here. I can use tpkx as a basemap for any project, but I cannot use mmpk with any project in Field Maps. It stands by itself in Field Maps.

Please refer to @erKay_nv5 above.

Thank you,
Abi

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Also, the setting for using on device basemap in the offline settings is just to make it use that one automatically.  If you have tpk(x) side loaded to the basemaps folder on your device, you can always select them as a basemap, regardless of what is in the offline settings.

I.e. the mmpk map opened in Field Maps app will also let me use any sideloaded basemaps.

R_

0 Kudos