Field Maps Offline Areas Cannot Edit

05-10-2023 01:00 PM
savanananah
New Contributor III
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question related to ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Field Maps.

I work at a Nature Reserve. Specifically I am having issues with the ability to collect data in the field using ArcGIS Field Maps. We are located in an area without a reliable network, so I designed an offline map area in ArcGIS Field Maps Designer. The issue is that when in the field, using the offline map, we cannot edit the form/collect data at our points.

As you can see in the attached images, in the online version, we can click Edit and collect data. In the offline version, the edit button is not there in the bottom bar.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

I will add that when I create the offline area through the app, I am able to edit. But I'd rather create it in Field Maps Designer for simplicity.
9 Replies
jmkern
by
New Contributor II

Hey @savanananah , have you enabled sync and verified the other settings necessary for offline use?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/configure-the-map.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_9DB2938BE8A749...

0 Kudos
savanananah
New Contributor III

Hi - yes there are check marks for all the layers. Maybe this helps: I just edited my post to add that when I create the offline area through the app, I am able to edit. But I'd rather create it in Field Maps Designer.

0 Kudos
SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

There can be two reasons. When the map was published from ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online, you can select options to be able to delete, edit, create, etc the published feature layer.  Then once in ArcGIS Online you can change the feature layer settings as well, but not if for instance you chose to not be able to delete in the publishing step.  

0 Kudos
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

I am having the same troubles on my Field Map that I created for wetland delineation. Allow editing and Sync is on for all layers.  The online version of the webmap works just fine, but the offline map area version doesn't allow editing.  If I create Offline Areas in my iPhone, those are editable.  Cannot seem to make it work with the Designer App.

0 Kudos
MeganEngel
Occasional Contributor II

I am having the same troubles on my FieldMap that I created for a project. I've Allowed editing and sync is enabled is on for all layers.  The online version of the webmap works just fine (in FM), but the offline map area (that I created in AGO) version doesn't allow editing.  

Device: iOS 16.4.1

FM Version: 23.1.0

0 Kudos
savanananah
New Contributor III

Hi Megan,

It seems to be some sort of bug as I am able to get it to work if I create the offline area within the mobile field maps app. I got around the issue in the Field Maps Designer on my laptop by playing with the extent of the offline area (e.g., going in smaller and only covering the points of interest not the entire mountain region). It may be the fact that I played around with the "Level of detail" slider too.

pshin1
by
New Contributor

Having the exact same issue here. I believe I have all the sharing/editing permissions set up correctly for the map and features. In Field Maps, I'm able to edit features with the online map, but not with the offline map area that I made with Field Maps Designer. When I create an offline area within Field Maps on the device itself, the editing feature works just fine.

0 Kudos
MatthewMcLamb_NC
New Contributor

I just ran into this same issue. As others have stated, creating the Map Area on the device worked, but I looked a bit further and found what the issue was in my scenario and can now create Map Area's online and successfully edit on the device.

I tried to edit my layer using the Web Map in AGOL, but received an error message stating "Feature creation is disabled for all layers."

Searching for that error led me to this support article:

It turned out that my point layer had z-values enabled, but the option to "Apply default to features with z-value" was not selected in Pro when publishing the layer. 

Long story short - you can either remove z-values from the point layers OR enable that option in Pro when publishing the layer.

I returned to Pro and re-published the layer with that option enabled. It did NOT show "Enable Z Defaults" as  "true" at the REST endpoint after the initial re-publish, so I re-published it again and the value updated at the REST endpoint.

I then returned to the Web Map and editing was working there, so I created a new Map Area online, downloaded it on the device, and voila - IT WORKS! I can now edit on the device using Map Areas created in the Field Maps Web environment.

Not sure if this will work for your scenario, but it is worth a shot!

0 Kudos
JuliaLawson
New Contributor

I have the same issue reported by savanananah , JustinJohnston, and MeganEngel . I followed all the steps to make maps editable online. Editing is allowed and sync is enabled for all layers. Collecting data in the field works fine as long as I have cell service. When I created offline map areas in Field Maps designer and downloaded them to my phone, there was no option to collect data (no blue plus sign). When I created the offline areas on my phone directly in the Field Maps app, they worked and I could collect data.

As others have stated, this is very inconvenient. I am part of a field team of ~10 people covering a survey area of hundreds of miles. I would like to be able to create an offline map or maps in Field Maps Designer so that everyone can use the same map to collect data. If I rely on each user to create their own offline map area each time they go to a new field site, the potential for error is huge.

I'm guessing this is a bug in Field Maps Designer -- is there a way to report this to ESRI and get it looked into?

0 Kudos