Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy attributes from polygon to point not allowed?

Jump to solution
09-14-2022 02:37 PM
Andy_Morgan
Occasional Contributor

I'm putting together a solution that apparently won't work for "Copy attributes", and I noticed your documentation doesn't seem to exactly match the copy attributes behavior in Field Maps.

I'd really like to copy attributes (in identically named fields) from a polygon layer to the target GPS point layer. It's not displaying the "Copy attributes" option when I select a polygon, but it does for a point layer in the same feature service. This is really unfortunate. Based on what I read below, it sounded like you can do anything across layers if you only want attributes copied: "The types you can choose are limited to those of the same geometry type."

Under Feature Actions, I have "Copy attributes" selected for the type.

I would think the documentation might as well say geometry must match for copy attributes to be enabled at all, or is there possibly some fix to make this work? I wish there was a way in Field Maps to programmatically copy attributes from a point based on the selected containing polygon. I have one parcel centroid point per polygon. Do I have any other options to make polygon to point work? The idea was to allow users to select a polygon feature for copying instead of the centroid point.    

Depending on the copy settings configured in the Field Maps web app, you can choose from the following options:

• Copy attributes—Copy the feature's attributes to a new feature.
  • Copy shape—Copy the feature's shape to a new feature.
  • Copy all—Copy the feature's attributes and shape to a new feature.

Choose the type of asset or observation to capture.

The types you can choose are limited to those of the same geometry type (for example, length or area) as the feature you are copying.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting that it works.  I was not sure it would work inside Field Maps either.  I asked Esri on why it askes twice also and I forget the reason.  You may have seen my post on that.

At least you got something that works now.