ArcGIS Field Maps: Offline Areas Failed to Download - 'Feature tiling disabled'

12-13-2021 10:21 AM
JeremiahJones
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone else has been having this issue. I can set up an offline area in the Field Maps online web application, then when I try to download that offline area on Field Maps Mobile (tested on two android devices) I receive the "Offline Areas Failed to Download" Error and the log tells me that feature tiling is disabled. Now this is frustrating. However, when I create on offline area in the Field Maps Mobile App, the map is created an downloads just fine. 

I assume this is an ESRI bug but I want to air it out on the forum first to see if anyone else is replicating this issue elsewhere.

37 Replies
BenjamenWetherill
New Contributor III

I was able to get my offline areas to download by removing and reinstalling the Field Maps app on my phone.  I found this hint here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-blog/arcgis-field-maps-offline-map-areas-packaging/b...

BenjamenWetherill
New Contributor III

Actually, this may not be a 100% solution.  It didn't seem to help the next time I ran into the issue.

0 Kudos
GayleNeufeld
Occasional Contributor

I'm having so much trouble with Field Maps that I'm about to tell my people that we won't be able to collect spatial data this year.  I've sideloaded a tile package, so I don't need the webmap basemap for my offline map package.  When I try to create an offline map package I get an error message saying that the area is too big.  I live and work in Alaska, and it's a HUGE area.  I need the whole state to be available in ONE offline map package for my work.  We didn't need offline map areas in Collector Classic, I don't see the benefit of them at all.  Seems to me that ESRI always tries to "improve" their products by removing functionality.  

Any answers from ESRI?

ErinZulliger
New Contributor

I found that if you have changed anything in the a specifc layer or the Webmap, and you are trying to redownload the offline map to reflect these changes you need to repackage and update the layers.

On ArcGIS online, go to the webmap, in setting choose Manage offline areas, and on eahc map you have created, you will need to refresh the layer you edited. I typically will refresh all of them. 

Then on Field Maps, log out, log back in and try to re-download. 

This worked for me. Good luck! 

RonHealey
New Contributor

This is the solution that worked for me, thank you! Refresh (also called Update) the offline area in Field Maps Designer's Offline -> Manage Areas AND logout/login on the device.

On ArcGIS online, go to the webmap, in setting choose Manage offline areas, and on eahc map you have created, you will need to refresh the layer you edited. I typically will refresh all of them.

Then on Field Maps, log out, log back in and try to re-download.

0 Kudos
ClintBoaz1
New Contributor III

I am also experiencing this issue.  The strange thing is it seems to be device specific.  I was able to download the offline map area delineated in AGOL on an iPad and Android device running a newer os (Android 13 I believe) but not on an older device running Android 10.  Has anyone else experience a device compatibility type issue like this or found a more consistent solution in general?  I have tried all the listed work -arounds and am still unable to download offline areas delineated in AGOL on older android devices.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
JCooley_ClackamasSWCD
New Contributor III

We are experiencing a similar problem.  We have a web map that we have been using for offline data collection.   Downloading offline areas was working just fine.  Last week we started to see downloads fail.  I have the web map set to not download attachments and the base map is a 16MB vector tile layer so size should not be an issue.  The size of offline areas is under 300MB when they were downloading successfully.  After a good deal of repetitive trouble shooting we found that this problem is only associated with one of our hosted feature services.  Remove it from the web map and everything downloads just fine.  We have not made any changes to the hosted feature layer so it is unclear why we are experiencing download failures now.          

0 Kudos
DavidPenton1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I recently encountered this issue while testing the app capabilities from scratch on a Trimble we are receiving.  After a few days I figured out the issue/workaround in order to download offline maps for field collection.  First of all I uploaded my GDB but it contained multiple feature classes with domains.  What you need to do is export every feature class into it's own zipped GDB, upload to ArcGIS Online, then publish them all.  Then I created a webmap with those layers and I defined the area to download.  Make sure your offline settings are correct and you have a prepackaged area defined in the webmap offline settings (Manage Areas).  After this I went to Field Maps designer and added my domain fields for each feature.  Now here is the tricky part.  If you have empty feature classes or say you had some features within that feature class to begin with and it shows up on your map on the app, even if you try to download an offline area you will get the error.  The trick is to drop a point, populate your fields on your device, save, submit.  You may not need to do this but it did happen to me once, I had to log out from the app, log back in, go to the map with the offline areas and THEN it let me download an offline map.  You need at least 1 collected feature that you can sync online to be able to do this.  So basically if you are connected to wifi or cell signal collect one feature while connected and then you can download offline maps.  But, if you attempt to add a GDB with multiple features, publish, and add it to this map you will not be able to download offline maps.  The features have to be uploaded and added to a webmap individually for this to work.

0 Kudos
JCooley_ClackamasSWCD
New Contributor III

Thanks for identifying a good work around.  Unfortunately it won't work for our situation.  When I use the export function from the AGOL web UI the process doesn't work.  I end up with an empty zip file.  This hosted feature layer fails to export to a shapefile or geopackage formats as well.  I can export the data to a local FGDB in ArcPro.  The local feature class looks fine and all of the attachments are still there.  Unfortunately there is a problem when this local feature class is published as a hosted feature layer.  The hosted feature layer will publish but there isn't any visible data (no records in the table, no polygons visible in map viewer).  I can create new tabular records but the geometry disappears as soon as I create a feature using the map viewer.               

0 Kudos
DavidPenton1
New Contributor II

Try doing it in Arc Pro.  Setup the feature class and domains there, then zip it, then upload it and publish it on Arc Online. 

0 Kudos