Add local data to Field Maps

Jump to solution
08-31-2022 11:58 AM
OliverIshmael
Occasional Contributor

Most of our (open) data resides on ArcGIS Online, however, our sensitive datasets do not and it must stay this way. Our users would like to refer to the sensitive datasets in the field when using Field Maps and we are trying to establish whether there is a workflow that will enable this.

I have tried to save data as an .MMPK and manually download this from an email to the mobile device - but I can't see how to view this within an existing Field Maps map.

Is there a way of doing this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OliverIshmael
Occasional Contributor

I have managed to resolve this issue using MMPKs...

MMPKs are a method of zipping up geospatial data and making it available to Field Maps without loading data to AGOL where there could be licencing or sensitivity issues etc. Utilising map packages in this way is referred to as Side Loading. You cannot display MMPK in AGOL.

Firstly, create an APRX with the layers you want (this is the MXD equivalent in ArcGIS Pro). I don’t think you can include the mosaic-raster OS base maps – I added the OS Mastermap Lines layer to create a sudo-base map layer, but this area needs further investigation!

Next click Share > Mobile Map:

OliverIshmael_0-1666785892290.jpeg

Now fill out the tool parameters:

OliverIshmael_1-1666785892292.jpeg

• Ensure that you select ‘Save package to file’
  • Add Summary text and Tags
  • Select ‘Area of Interest’ and select the polygon for the survey area – to automatically clip all datasets to the relevant extent.

Once you have produced the MMPK this can be copied to the Tablet:

Android devices—Connect your device to your computer (with a USB cable), use your computer's file explorer to browse to your device, and copy the .mmpk file to the \Android\data\com.esri.fieldmaps\files\mappackages folder. Full details here.

Once you copy it to your device, the map is designated as an On Device map. Tap the map to open it (or refresh the map if already open).

Now the data can be accessed natively in Field Maps from the Maps menu.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LC27
by
New Contributor II

Hi, 

have you figured this out? Thanks.

0 Kudos
OliverIshmael
Occasional Contributor

I have managed to resolve this issue using MMPKs...

MMPKs are a method of zipping up geospatial data and making it available to Field Maps without loading data to AGOL where there could be licencing or sensitivity issues etc. Utilising map packages in this way is referred to as Side Loading. You cannot display MMPK in AGOL.

Firstly, create an APRX with the layers you want (this is the MXD equivalent in ArcGIS Pro). I don’t think you can include the mosaic-raster OS base maps – I added the OS Mastermap Lines layer to create a sudo-base map layer, but this area needs further investigation!

Next click Share > Mobile Map:

OliverIshmael_0-1666785892290.jpeg

Now fill out the tool parameters:

OliverIshmael_1-1666785892292.jpeg

• Ensure that you select ‘Save package to file’
  • Add Summary text and Tags
  • Select ‘Area of Interest’ and select the polygon for the survey area – to automatically clip all datasets to the relevant extent.

Once you have produced the MMPK this can be copied to the Tablet:

Android devices—Connect your device to your computer (with a USB cable), use your computer's file explorer to browse to your device, and copy the .mmpk file to the \Android\data\com.esri.fieldmaps\files\mappackages folder. Full details here.

Once you copy it to your device, the map is designated as an On Device map. Tap the map to open it (or refresh the map if already open).

Now the data can be accessed natively in Field Maps from the Maps menu.

0 Kudos