Supporting external GNSS devices in Explorer

07-13-2020 07:47 AM
David_Tipping
New Contributor III

Scott Hi - did the latest release of Explorer (March 2020) contain support for external GNSS systems? I'm looking for Android support. Guessing its a no as it doesn't seem to be included in the new features listing.

From the user perspective it would be better to have a generic approach to options and settings across all the apps, using the same settings icons, terminology etc..

Are there a beta opportunities?

Many thanks

David Tipping

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

Unfortunately the answer to your questions is "kind of" 🙂 ... let me explain.

Technically GNSS receivers are supported in ArcGIS Explorer on iOS and Android so if you just want improved location coming from the receiver this is supported. What is not supported is the ability to configure a location profile to enhance the information that is coming in from the GNSS receiver (Like you can in ArcGIS Collector). There are two common reasons you might want to configure a location profile when using receivers of this type.

1.  You want sub meter accuracy
  2.  You want to use an Esri Basemap and therefore need to adjust/transform the location information coming in from the GNSS receiver

Good news is with the new ArcGIS Field Maps application (just went into beta last week) you get all the functionality of ArcGIS Explorer as well as the ability to configure a location profile. If you're interested in joining the beta please follow this link to sigh up: ArcGIS Field Maps 

Hope this helps,

-Brent

0 Kudos
David_Tipping
New Contributor III

Brent Hi - thanks for your answer and I will join the beta on Field Maps.

So as it currently stands within Explorer on Android, when I log in I get a gallery of my map projects and group projects. Top right I have a search tool, an option to sort and a profile button. Within profile I there is 'User', 'Settings' and 'About'. Settings has 'Units' 'Only download on Wi-Fi' and 'Show groups in map list' options.

When I have a higher quality external Bluetooth GPS connected I don't seem to be getting the increased accuracy. There isn't an accuracy report I am aware of. Am I using the external just because it has made connection in my device? What am I missing? 

Thanks for your time

David Tipping 

0 Kudos
TimothyKing3
Occasional Contributor

We would like to use Explorer offline but when we do the internal GPS in our iPhone 7/8+ does not work.  Is there a way to choose another device via Explorer such as a Garmin GLO or another external GPS Unit?

Thanks,

LTK

0 Kudos