Select to view content in your preferred language

Popup window wont display - Android App

Jump to solution
05-04-2022 01:06 PM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

Recently, my field crew(s) have complained to me that the maps (Electric and Water service maps) are not working. Specifically, when they click on a feature on the map (Primary Conductor, Fire Hydrant, Etc), the pop-up window doesn't show up to show the attributes of the feature. This started only about a week ago, but its the same map(s) that they have been using for about the past 2 years. The data comes from ArcGIS Pro and is uploaded as a feature layer to ArcGIS Online and the feature layer is added to a map thru AGOL. The map is opened on an android phone/tablet via the android Explorer app. I am also being told the same thing is going on with an iPhone Explorer App. However, opening the map via a webpage gives no problems. I am not seeing any updates from the Android store to update the app.

Is there something that has changed recently (1-2 weeks) that I am unaware of? How am I able to make it consistent so if my foreman is using the Explorer App on the Android App, the popup window shows up when he clicks on an OH Transformer is the same as doing it at a desktop via Google Chrome or Windows Explorer? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

Field Maps is available on both iOS and Android and it has a lot of bug fixes and stability improvements that are not in Explorer - it was designed to bring together Explorer, Collector, and Tracker capabilities into one app. You can find some more information here: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/field-maps/field-mobility/announcing-arcgis-field-maps/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

Hello,

Do you know if your organization recently started using the newer map viewer in ArcGIS Online? Some of the enhanced popup features in the new map viewer are not yet supported in some mobile apps and the best option will be to continue using map viewer classic for the time being. Support for more advanced popups will be coming to ArcGIS Field Maps, but as ArcGIS Explorer has been deprecated on iOS and Android those apps will not be updated to support the newer popups.

It will be worth checking to see if the maps work correctly in ArcGIS Field Maps whether or not you are using the newer map viewer as any potential bugs would be addressed in future versions of Field Maps.

Chris

ModernElectric

Chris:

Thank you for the reply. I recently started using the New Map Viewer to create our field maps about 2 or 3 months ago. However, this issue with ArcGIS Explorer was identified by our foreman last week. Our field crew(s) mainly use ArcGIS Explorer on a company Samsung tablet or their Android phones. Do do have the ability to use the maps via Chrome/Edge/etc. 

I will look into converting the infrastructure fields maps back to the Map Viewer Classic to see if this will bring back the popup window functionality in ArcGIS Explorer since this is what they are comfortable with using. Additionally, I will check into the ArcGIS Field Map(s) app and work with our foreman on utilizing that. Since I am unfamiliar with ArcGIS Field Maps, is there an app via iOS and Android?

Appreciate your feedback

0 Kudos
ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

Field Maps is available on both iOS and Android and it has a lot of bug fixes and stability improvements that are not in Explorer - it was designed to bring together Explorer, Collector, and Tracker capabilities into one app. You can find some more information here: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/field-maps/field-mobility/announcing-arcgis-field-maps/

0 Kudos
ModernElectric

Appreciate the information Chris. I will work with our field crew(s) and foreman to start utilizing the ArcGIS Field Maps app. I just installed it on my phone and opened our electric field map and works that way our crew needs it to. 

0 Kudos