Are Bing base maps no longer working in Explorer?

04-11-2018 01:15 PM
EthanGomberg
New Contributor III

Bing base maps don't appear to be working any more in our Explorer maps. It works online when using AGO to create the map services and it works fine in Collector. However when we navigate to Explorer maps with Bing basemaps we get an error that it "can't find the the Bing key".

We had this similar problem over a year ago and an eventual update to the Explorer for iOS fixed the issue. Perhaps we are seeing the same problem rear its head again. iOS 11.3 came out recently and its about the same time this started happening.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You probably have to update and or get a new Bing Key.

0 Kudos
EthanGomberg
New Contributor III

No I don't think that is correct. Like I said, Bing works fine in maps for Collector and in ArcGIS Online as well in our Desktop software. Its only in Explorer. And they are all using the same Bing key/token.

Explorer had a similar problem a little over a year ago and it took an ESRI update to fix it.

Is no one else experiencing problems with their Bing base maps in Explorer on iOS?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Ethan Gomberg‌,

Unfortunately, this has been a known issue in Explorer for ArcGIS. There is a public defect logged, and if you'd like, you can contact support and get attached to the defect (BUG-000106810) as well.

Technically, you can get the basemap layer to appear in the map if you check the option for "Allow this Bing key to be used in maps shared publicly by organization members" in your org settings. You need to first enable the setting for "Allow anonymous access to your organization's website" in the Security tab.

Be aware this allows anonymous users to view maps that have been Shared with Everyone (Public) on your org. Also, I'm not aware of the constraints Bing imposes on their api usage, so this might not be feasible for most.