Select to view content in your preferred language

Accessing data from AGS with self-signed certificate -- SOLVED!

04-29-2014 09:44 AM
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III
I just downloaded the app and connected it to our organization's AGOL account. All the maps on our account contain layers that are published to our internal (behind the firewall) AGS cluster. The servers are self-signed and only accept HTTPS traffic. When I click to open a map with one of these layers, there is a 1 in a red circle displayed over the table of contents icon. When I click it, I see a red exclamation over my layer and clicking on the layer I see this:
"Failed to open the layer 'XXX'. The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be 'xxx.xx.xxx' which could put your confidential information at risk."

When I look at the same map on the IPad through Safari or even the ArcGIS app, it prompts if I want to accept the security risk and then proceeds to display the data. I haven't found a way to let my data still display in Explorer for ArcGIS. Are there steps I can take to see the data?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III
I solved my own problem with the help of our IT department. I have included the solution in case it helps anyone else.
We have a server that issues our internal certificates using Microsoft Active Directory Certificate Services. I just had to:
1. Navigate to http://<CA Server machine name>/certsrv/
2. Click "Download a CA certificate, certificate chain, or CRL"
3. Click "Install CA certificate".

Once completed on the IPad, the data started showing up.
0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor
Michael,

You beat me to it, if you install the certificate manually on the device you should be fine to communicate with services secured in this manner. iOS allow you to install certificates in a number of different ways one of which you mention in your solution above. It's a one time step so it should not be too troublesome.

For future releases of Explorer we will augment this experience prompting you to install the certificate the first time you try to access a resource like this if possible.

Thanks,
-Brent
0 Kudos
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III
Thanks for the reply Brent!

I do agree that the app handling the issue by prompting the user whether to trust the CA is a much more user-friendly approach as users get new devices all the time. You may have helped them set everything up the first time, but with the new device, they forget the step of manually adding the CA and assume everything is broken.

Just as an FYI, I have this same problem with Operations Dashboard for Browser. It would be nice to not have to worry users with extra setup steps with Ops Dashboard also.

Explorer seems like a great app...keep up the good work!
0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the positive feedback Michael, it's always nice to hear. The team poured their heart into this one 🙂

wrt: Ops Dashboard I will talk with the team and make sure similar issues are addressed in that app to simplify this user experience.
0 Kudos