Select to view content in your preferred language

Trying to Share A KML Service

06-25-2012 04:34 PM
SteveDicks
New Contributor
My goal is to share a KML file with other via ArcGIS Explorer Online. I would also like to have the KML show up in the iPad and iPhone apps.

I have a KML file that I added as a service. I can add that KML service to a map and it works fine as long as I am the one accessing it. Nobody else sees it. Apparently this is because ArcGIS Explorer doesn't load the KML up to the ether, it really stores a url pointing back to the file on my local computer. After reading the instructions (heaven forbid) I noted that all users must have access to the service so I tried creating one from the file residing on a network drive that others in my agency can access. That didn't resolve my problem, I am the only one that can see it. Similarly, I tried creating a service from a file in a public Dropbox folder. Once again, I can see it and nobody else can. I am probably missing something very simple, any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
If you created a service from a file directly on your machine (like this) , Explorer Online would actually upload the original file to ArcGIS Online, so there's no problem with it being located on your machine. If you add a service and reference a KML file by URL at a network location, then the file is not uploaded bu just the URL is stored. However in both cases, if you then add that to a map, and share the map, you will need to share the service also if you want others to be able to access it - this could explain what you're seeing.
0 Kudos
SteveDicks
New Contributor
Thanks, that worked. I will chalk up my original problem to user error since I thought I had already followed the workflow you suggested. Heck, I've been doing this stuff for 25 years and maybe the reality is you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Though this is not exactly and ArcGIS Explorer Online question, I'll ask here for starts. It appears that KML services created in ArcGIS Explorer Online are not viewable when the map is opened in the ArcGIS iPad/iPhone app. We are going to be setting up ArcGIS Online for Organizations in the near future for our agency and this capability would be nice.
0 Kudos