Select to view content in your preferred language

Classifying objects with multiple attributes

06-08-2012 12:33 PM
JonathanAlloy
New Contributor
Hi, I just started using ArcGIS through the Explorer Online tool and think it's great - very powerful and intuitive to use. One thing I can't figure out though is how to classify objects with multiple attributes at the same time. Let's say I import a CSV file with the elements Zip Code, Politics, Population, Fast Food. I'd like to have markers at each zip code that use shape, size and color to display the factors for that area, such as shape (square for democrat, circle for republican), size (larger for bigger populations), and color (gradient from yellow to red based on the index of fast food consumption). Is such a thing possible with the free version of the software, and if so, how do I go about it? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jonathan
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
There's no multi-attribute renderer that will do this automatically for you in Explorer Online. The workaround I can think of would be to combine attributes into a single field before you import, and then render all the different variations based on that attribute - that's fine if you only have a few combinations, but not a good solution for many combinations I'm afraid (and from your description, I suspect that you're probably looking at a lot of combinations). Otherwise you're looking at setting up the data in web service (ArcGIS Server map or feature service, or a WMS service for example) and adding that service. Possibly there's a free tool or utility that would generate a KML file showing the symbols the way you want them, that might be worth looking into (although I'm afraid I dont have any specific advice there).
0 Kudos