Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to Deploy Add-In Updates

07-14-2013 02:49 PM
GlenH
by
New Contributor
I'm having trouble deploying updates for an add-in developed for AGX Desktop (build 2500).

The initial deployment is fine.  If I copy my addin.eaz file to the �??C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\esri\arcgis explorer\Addins' folder, then start AGX, it works as expected.

Replacing the original add-in with an updated version doesn't seem to work as the described in the documentation (http://resources.esri.com/help/900/arcgisexplorer/sdk/doc/94c298a9-c91c-4123-a574-8fecd13553ad.htm): 

"When a new add-in file is found in this location by ArcGIS Explorer, it will unpack the contents of the file into a cache. ArcGIS Explorer will check if any add-ins have been updated in this location on startup, and if necessary unpack the updated files so that the latest version is used."

If I just overwrite the original .eaz file with an updated version, then start AGX, the new version is ignored.

Confusingly, if I rebuild the project in Visual Studio then start AGX, it works fine.  The build information in Visual Studio shows that the new .eaz file was copied to the AddIns folder mentioned above.  Why this works after a build and not when I manually copy the .eaz file is a mystery (on a different machine).

The only way I can get this to work is to manually remove the add-in within AGX, then start and stop AGX, then copy the updated .eaz into the AddIns folder, then start AGX again.

Does anyone know of any restrictions when deploying updates, or have I missed something?

Thanks,
Glenn
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdamGuo
Emerging Contributor
I am not sure if this will help, but at the ESRI User Conference, a guy who did a presentation on their implementation of ArcExplorer said to rename the .EAZ file instead of overwriting it. So what they did was to place a date eg. AddIn_07152013.EAZ instead of just AddIn.EAZ.
I have yet to try it myself.
0 Kudos
GlenH
by
New Contributor
Thanks skippytbk, your suggestion worked.   Removing the original addin.eaz file from the Addins folder then copying in addin_20130715.eaz is all it took.  On startup AGX prompts you again to confirm you want to install the add-in, which is fine.

It gets confused if you have two .eaz files for the same add-in in the Addins folder, which is understandable.

Many thanks!
0 Kudos