Select to view content in your preferred language

Known issues with proxy servers

08-03-2010 06:29 AM
BabbageOcelot
Deactivated User
Hi dev team, forum people.

I may be not Googling correctly, but I can't see a list of known issues / bugs / workarounds. The knowledgebase doesn't really seem to have much in the way of recent information either.

We're having proxy issues, and a few threads mention that (some sort of proxy issue) has been identified - though I don't think this is on-record by any ESRI staff as a bug to be squashed. Again, it's from various odd threads here and there.

In short, 'Search' is dead, the Google street view addin (amongst others) is broken, but Virtual Earth/Bing maps work fine. It's a corporate web proxy; I think it is both NTLM and Kerberos aware, but it might just be NTLM...

I'm happy to give system/config/failure info if necessary; this is build 1200.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

I can confirm that the forthcoming 1500 release addresses an issue relating to the use of ArcGIS Exploer behind/through a proxy server - the symptoms you are describing sound similar to the issue that has been fixed.

It's also worth noting that if you have ArcGIS Server within your organisation that you are entitled to tech support for ArcGIS Explorer (since it's a client of ArcGIS Server).

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
BabbageOcelot
Deactivated User
I can confirm that the forthcoming 1500 release addresses an issue relating to the use of ArcGIS Exploer behind/through a proxy server - the symptoms you are describing sound similar to the issue that has been fixed.

It's also worth noting that if you have ArcGIS Server within your organisation that you are entitled to tech support for ArcGIS Explorer (since it's a client of ArcGIS Server).

Mike,

thanks for this. I'll bear in mind the internal support mechanism also - we do use Server - just thought it might be helpful for the wider community to know, too.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
There are two possible issues here:

1. Your proxy is blocking outgoing URL's for the Find Task and Google Street view Add In. If this is the case, then URL exceptions need to be made by the Proxy Server.

2. There is also a bug for this NIM049966 (ArcGIS Explorer 900 'Find Task' does not work if ArcGIS Explorer is installed behind a proxy server; it cannot authenticate proxy server credentials even after saving the proxy settings.)
that existed at 900, and only in certain situations at 1200. We are actively working on this, and hope to have a fix soon.

We do test ArcGIS Explorer behind a proxy and it does work, but with the different environments and setups we have found some issues still persist. Even once a fix for the bug is complete, you could still experience #1 pending your proxy setup.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
BabbageOcelot
Deactivated User
We do test ArcGIS Explorer behind a proxy and it does work, but with the different environments and setups we have found some issues still persist. Even once a fix for the bug is complete, you could still experience #1 pending your proxy setup.

Andrew,

that makes sense. I don't think we have scenario #1 - although with our IT setup anything is possible. After some cursory netmon checking I'm seeing 407s with no response - request is generally for secure.geonames.net.

It's not a huge problem - we've developed an in-house Street View addin which seems to work, and local address data will do fine for the moment, again using a custom addin. It's good to know these things are being looked at... we're probably going to deploy anyway - Explorer is too good an opportunity to miss.

Thanks,

Ben
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Regular Contributor
Thought I'd let you know that not all of the add-ins for ArcGIS Explorer that are from ArcGIS Explorer Labs which use web services or similar currently implement code to work with proxy servers. However, it's something we're reviewing and should be available in the next updates of all the add-ins.
0 Kudos