Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
CraigBeech
New Contributor II
Noticed that the Beta version is for 32-bit. Are there any plans to release a 64-bit version? We have done a lot of customization using the Add-in functionality within version 1750, will it still worj in 2012?

Regards,
Stefan
ssteenekamp@ppf.org.za
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
Installed the beta last Friday.

Background: I have used the previous version only a little, so there is a decent chance I am using it suboptimally and the performance issues I see are a result of user error.

Use case: We have data in shapefiles representing streets in the USA and Canada. Supporting these feature classes and shapefiles are extra tables about maneuvers, etc. The data is stored centrally and is read only. I am evaluating ArcExplorer Desktop as a potential replacement for the couple copies of ArcView 3.3 the field collection guys use to study some tricky intersections. They load up the appropriate shapefile (usually half a million to a million streets) in AV 3.3 very quickly and the guys zoom to their intersection and use a combination of Identify, symbology, and occasionally relates to figure things out. We'd like to move off AV 3.3 before it stops working with some version of Windows. We'd also like to eventually move the data to geodatabase.

Here's what I've tried: keeping the data in central shapefiles, local shapefiles, local filegeodatabase, local layer package.
Here's what I've seen: ArcExplorer draws the shapes very, very slowing, spending a large amount of time telling me it is "streaming." I can start AV 3.3 and look at the data in the same time I am waiting for the data to render. The field guys will never accept this performance hit. In just a little looking, I was also not able to figure out how to handle the user need to look at other tables by relate. I didn't spend much time on it, though, because the slow drawing was a total deal breaker.

I assume I am doing something incorrectly, but if the performance difference is unavoidable, I think our guys will want to stick with AV 3.3 - it is familiar and fast.

What am I doing incorrectly?
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
When I attempted to add a base map to ArcMap, the basemap opened in AGX as a new ArcGIS Layer and not in ArcMap.

So, initial problem is kind of solved, but I don't think what just happened was by design.

Dan,

It certainly was not by the initial design...  For ArcGIS Explorer 2012 we did work to "separate" ArcGIS Explorer desktop from ArcGIS Desktop, this is what allows it to run off of a USB, a side affect is that for shared file types, things like layers and layer packages that can be opened in ArcGIS Explorer, ArcGlobe and ArcMap, we do not have a real clean file association solution.  So, we made the decision that if ArcGIS Explorer is running, it takes the file association.  This is something we will continue to look at,  when double clicking in windows explorer or opening content from the ArcGIS online webpage we can't really control which Esri app will get the common file type, but when opening from an application (opening basemap in ArcMap) we should be able to direct it to the correct application.  This could be a future SP fix for ArcMap.

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Did we lose the option for Bing basemaps? 

I do like having the option to finally put text on the map - kudos for that.

Esri is phasing out the complimentary use of Bing Maps in its ArcGIS products.  The final version of ArcGIS Explorer 2012 as well as other Esri products will be "Bing Ready", which will allow you to input a Bing Maps key that you obtain directly from Microsoft.  After you input the key you will be able to use Bing maps as you did previously.

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Noticed that the Beta version is for 32-bit. Are there any plans to release a 64-bit version? We have done a lot of customization using the Add-in functionality within version 1750, will it still worj in 2012?

Regards,
Stefan
ssteenekamp@ppf.org.za

Stefan,

Yes, a 64 bit version is planned, it currently lags a bit behind the 32 bit version, as we get the code working in 64 bit.  Yes, Add-ins from 1750 will work In ArcGIS Explorer 2012.  For the 64 bit version you will need to confirm that the add-ins were targetted at "Any CPU"

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I seem to be in some strange loop for Add Ins, though. When I go to Resources > Add Ins, it asks if I want to restart to load one. Not sure what it's loading, but restart doesn't end the popup. I've got:

Add Ins Online
File WithCoordinates
Raster Georeferencing
Create or Add GeoTagged Images

I'm also unable to remove any of them.

I also had a third party Add In developed for search and rescue. I can't install that, though it worked on build 1750.

Workaround is to keep 1750 on my machine. Can I then use 2012 beta off a USB?

Thoughts and comments welcome

Thanks!

George

George,

For ArcGIS Explorer 2012 we changed how the Add-ins are handled when added to the software.  As a result you will be prompted to Accept all the add-ins that you currently have installed when you run ArcGIS Explorer 2012.  It is expected that user experience for adding and removing should work as it previously did.  I will have to take a look and see if I can find a scenario where they are not handled properly.

It is also expected that all add-ins 1500 - 1750 should work in ArcGIS Explorer 2012.  Those that do not will need to be looked at on a case by case basis.  If you can send the Add-in we can take a look.

Yes, you could run ArcGIS Explorer 2012 from a USB or copied folder on a machine that is running 1750.  The only issue is that the cache files created by ArcGIS Explorer 2012 will not be useable by 1750, so when running 1750 data that was cached and viewed in ArcGIS Explorer 2012, will not display in ArcGIS Explorer 1750.  For basemaps you may even see an error message in regards to an "invalid layer".  To correct this problem you just need to clear out all of the ArcGIS Explorer cache. (delete %tmp%\E3)

Mark
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hey,

I've also tested the new beta version of ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2012 because a client of us is using it extensively in combination with ArcGIS Online for Organizations content. Is it possible to add the new Web Feature Services hosted by ArcGIS Online or is it planned to add such a functionality? At the moment there only seems to be support for common GIS-server technologies.

I think this would be a perfect addition to reach a maximum integration between both systems.

best regards
Richard
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Hey,

... Is it possible to add the new Web Feature Services hosted by ArcGIS Online or is it planned to add such a functionality? At the moment there only seems to be support for common GIS-server technologies.

I think this would be a perfect addition to reach a maximum integration between both systems.

best regards
Richard

We agree that this would be a great addition. However, Feature services are currently not supported. Support for these will be added in a future release, post ArcGIS Explorer 2012.

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Installed the beta last Friday.

Background: I have used the previous version only a little, so there is a decent chance I am using it suboptimally and the performance issues I see are a result of user error.

Use case: We have data in shapefiles representing streets in the USA and Canada. Supporting these feature classes and shapefiles are extra tables about maneuvers, etc. The data is stored centrally and is read only. I am evaluating ArcExplorer Desktop as a potential replacement for the couple copies of ArcView 3.3 the field collection guys use to study some tricky intersections. They load up the appropriate shapefile (usually half a million to a million streets) in AV 3.3 very quickly and the guys zoom to their intersection and use a combination of Identify, symbology, and occasionally relates to figure things out. We'd like to move off AV 3.3 before it stops working with some version of Windows. We'd also like to eventually move the data to geodatabase.

Here's what I've tried: keeping the data in central shapefiles, local shapefiles, local filegeodatabase, local layer package.
Here's what I've seen: ArcExplorer draws the shapes very, very slowing, spending a large amount of time telling me it is "streaming." I can start AV 3.3 and look at the data in the same time I am waiting for the data to render. The field guys will never accept this performance hit. In just a little looking, I was also not able to figure out how to handle the user need to look at other tables by relate. I didn't spend much time on it, though, because the slow drawing was a total deal breaker.

I assume I am doing something incorrectly, but if the performance difference is unavoidable, I think our guys will want to stick with AV 3.3 - it is familiar and fast.

What am I doing incorrectly?

You aren't necessarily doing anything incorrectly, but you may be able to get a better user experience by trying the following:

1. Make sure your coordinates system of the map matches the coordinate system of the data, if possible. Projection on the fly is always slower than drawing in the coordinate system of the data.  From the file menu (ArcGIS Explorer icon upper left)  Click map properties and 2D coordinate system, specify the coordinate system of your data.  Also, when working with a lot of features your going to get better performance working in 2D, rather than 3D.

2.  Use a Display range.  In ArcGIS Explorer on the appearance tab you can set the Minimum scale at which the data draws, the data won't display when zoomed out beyond the specified scale (or if using ArcGIS Layers, Layer packages, ArcGIS Explorer will honor visibility settings stored in the layer).  You can specify a display range that ensures the data only draws when zoomed in close.  This narrows the extent of the data fetched for display and improves performance.   Make use of another layer that draws fast (like an ArcGIS Explorer basemap) so that your users have a point of reference for where they want to zoom in, but only draw the large dataset when zoomed in close.

Mark
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
You aren't necessarily doing anything incorrectly, but you may be able to get a better user experience by trying the following: [various good tips]
Mark

I was able to get good performance with the shapefiles by turning off all the basemap imagery and using some hollow polygon features for the USA, Canada, Counties and points for cities to orient. And the search by Lat Lon made finding the location pretty easy. With no basemap and the map in the data's coordinate system, shapefiles were fast enough. File GDB of the entire country, even when very much zoomed in, was very slow. The File GDB has a spatial index managed by ArcGIS, so I don't know what's wrong.

Is it possible to label features or look at tables and do relates in ArcGIS Explorer - I have a feeling that the answer is no, from the documentation, without custom code. If that's the case, our guys will probably stick with AV3.3 until it dies - it can do everything they need, and the data is still shipped to us in shapefiles.

It's a toss up for them, though - they'd also like to have the imagery behind the streets. Right now, that's done with KML export and Google. We'd prefer to avoid that.
0 Kudos