ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
I ran the routing tool to drive from one place to another in town. I noticed that when I clicked on the map to get my origin and destination, the flags were not added. Nothing was added until I generated directions. I think it would be better to place the flags first. When I double clicked my origin in the the Directions in the ToC, the map centered on the origin, but it zoomed way out, so that the entire rout was less than a fifth of the map extent. Why? That's pretty much opposite of what I would have expected.
0 Kudos
AchilleasDrosos
New Contributor III
I have 36 users working with 1750 and today i updated a few to beta 2012.

I use the previous - next addin (PreviousNextExtent.eaz) and every time i open beta 2012 the software asks me if i want to install it.

I cant get rid of some useless for my users buttons through Application Configuration Manager eg add overlay text and map text

I get some problems during navigation.

and for the end a little request: I would really like to have the date of the bing maps imagery i see.
0 Kudos
JamesNyberg
New Contributor II
Does the 2012 Beta work with the 1750 SDK?  I cannot seem to build an add-in with the 1750 SDK.  It looks like the MakeEaz MSBuild task cannot find the ESRI.ArcGIS.Utilities.Compression assembly.  I tried copying both the SDK and assembly files to both "Explorer" and "Explorer (x86)" bin directories, and registering the Compression assembly, but I still get the FileNotFound exception during my project build.

Attached is the error.
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
I still haven't found a good way to get our big (46 million record) feature class to draw quickly in ArcGIS Explorer, even when zoomed in. In ArcMap at the same scale, things draw fine.
On the other hand, poking around the documentation, the contributed add-ins, and the SDK has turned up support for labeling, opening non-geometry tables, showing related records, and joining. A combination of third party and home coded add-ins should allow the software to handle what we could do with ArcView 3.3.

I think the thing that might get people interested in converting - maybe - is the integrated support for imagery. Right now the flow goes the other way - export shapefile to KML and load it up in a Google product.

I've uninstalled the beta so that I can test out some extensions that run on the released version.
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Harry:

Have you considered caching your vector data on ArcGIS for Server and sharing that map service with your end users?  That is how we solved a similar issue with a very large parcel polygon data set.  It's super fast!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Esri is phasing out the complimentary use of Bing Maps in its ArcGIS products.  The final version of ArcGIS Explorer 2012 as well as other Esri products will be "Bing Ready", which will allow you to input a Bing Maps key that you obtain directly from Microsoft.  After you input the key you will be able to use Bing maps as you did previously.

Mark

Can you expand on this a little more? Will this be like the 9.2/9.3 days where you had to install Bing maps as an extenstion (virtual earth if i remember), which required registering with Microsoft and ESRI? Where are we to obtain a bing maps key in the future and where are we to input this key to gain access to Bing Maps. My agency already has a Bing Maps key but other people might want to know some details on this.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Just installed the beta and noticed the same atrocious symbology. Will there be ANY improvements to symbols in the 2012 release? As described to me once, the symbols in Explorer are way to "cartoony" and need to be more professional looking. There should be more of an option other than "use layer packages or use .lyr files". layer packages seem to have less functionality than directly adding shapefiles. Users can't change colors or mess with popups from a layer package. So if somebody wants different colors for something they have to go back to the source to get a new layer file.

If the symbols won't be changed at least make it easier to install and use symbol or style packages from ArcGIS Desktop within Explorer. Or even allow users to download symbol packages or esri fonts. Something. But either way something has to be done with the symbology.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you expand on this a little more? Will this be like the 9.2/9.3 days where you had to install Bing maps as an extenstion (virtual earth if i remember), which required registering with Microsoft and ESRI? Where are we to obtain a bing maps key in the future and where are we to input this key to gain access to Bing Maps. My agency already has a Bing Maps key but other people might want to know some details on this.

This is the URL to obtain a key from Microsoft.  http://www.bingmapsportal.com/

There is no registration with Esri,  the ArcGIS Explorer 2012 final version will have an option for entering in a Microsoft key to enable the use of Bing Maps data.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Just installed the beta and noticed the same atrocious symbology. Will there be ANY improvements to symbols in the 2012 release? As described to me once, the symbols in Explorer are way to "cartoony" and need to be more professional looking. There should be more of an option other than "use layer packages or use .lyr files". layer packages seem to have less functionality than directly adding shapefiles. Users can't change colors or mess with popups from a layer package. So if somebody wants different colors for something they have to go back to the source to get a new layer file.

If the symbols won't be changed at least make it easier to install and use symbol or style packages from ArcGIS Desktop within Explorer. Or even allow users to download symbol packages or esri fonts. Something. But either way something has to be done with the symbology.

There are no plans to add or change the symbology in ArcGIS Explorer 2012.   In regards to points you can add images to use as symbols.  http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/2012//en/dialog_manage_my_symbols.htm#
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
There are no plans to add or change the symbology in ArcGIS Explorer 2012.   In regards to points you can add images to use as symbols.  http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/2012//en/dialog_manage_my_symbols.htm#

I'm sorry but in my opinion that is an unacceptable solution. People shouldn't have to search for or manually select jpgs or png images to get decent symbols. Why is it so hard to include some basic styles and allow for selection similar to ArcMap or even the basic symbology in ArcPad? Having the ArcPad symbology would be a huge improvement. For such a big release there doesn't seem to be much improvement. I guess I'm stuck with .lyr files. Curious if you guys even listen to users/customers? I remember seeing many posts in the forums about Explorer Desktop symbology and there is no plan to improve it even after all that feedback.
0 Kudos