AGX Online Help - Suggestion for Find Tool - Find Intersection

05-13-2010 05:37 AM
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Dear ESRI:

It took me some time, but I discovered that the Find tool in AGX can be used to locate a streets intersection by using an ampersand (&) in the statement.  Example:  46th & grand ave, minneapolis

The use of an ampersand to locate an intersection is not included in the AGX Online Help under Finding; Places, Addresses, or Locations.  Can it be added so that this important function can easily be discoved by others?

Thanks for listening.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for pointing out this lack Joe.

I have updated this in the current online help, and that should be available from later today.
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Shelly:  Thank you for such a quick response to my request.
0 Kudos
DonnaBest
New Contributor
Shelly:  Thank you for such a quick response to my request.

I'm having difficulty with finding an intersection in the Find Tool in ArcExplorer and ArcMap as well, even with using the &.  I'm wondering if my problem is in my address locator.   I've built an address locator on my streets file using US Streets.

I'm so new to this,    I've been working on a vb.net program (new to vb.net too) to provide a faster Find Tool in a map published to ArcReader.   (this is my objective in all this)  And my problem THERE is displaying or returning matches. 

Can I impose on you for your suggestions or input?  I'm attaching a copy of the vb.net code - I started with the Locate Address sample.   I will also go look at the  AGX Online Help under Finding; Places, Addresses, or Locations that you referenced.

Thank you!

Donna
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Donna,

Does your Locator support intersections? - http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002500000010000000.htm

To use a custom Locator Service out of the box you'll need to create a new Application Configuration - see the following help links:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1500/en/appconfig_manager.htm
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1500/en/firewall.htm

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
DonnaBest
New Contributor
Thank you Mike for your response!  I'll go finish checking out the links you provided.

The ArcReader Find Tool  takes too many clicks and too much time to get it opened and then choose a locator on the Addresses tab.  So I'm trying to write a tool just for finding address or street or intersection candidates.

I've used the sample vb.net  Locate Address  sample code  to create my custom tool.  And it works!  But it finds a specific address only,  it does not return a list of candidates for streets or intersections.  So I Think I'm needing to call a different interface set in the vb.net program. 

I Think my address locator is Okay because it works in the ArcMap FindTool by typing either  '400 MAIN ST',  or  'MAIN ST',  or MAIN ST & GAY ST'.  

I'll go read the links you sent more thoroughly, unless you can send me to a sample FindAddressCandidates or Match Candidates type of script for vb.net (only found one in vb6 and I'm not managing to migrate it well at all)

Thank you for your time!
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Donna,

Are we talking about ArcReader or ArcGIS Explorer? (this is the ArcGIS Explorer forum).

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
DonnaBest
New Contributor
Hi Mike -

I Am in the wrong forum.  I was looking at ArcReader Or ArcExplorer as an inexpensive stand-alone use for officers' laptops.   I thought I could use a customized tool in ArcMap and then publish the map with the tool for use in ArcReader, but that doesn't look correct at this point.  I'll hop over to the ArcReader forum. 

Meanwhile, I'll check out ArcGIS Explorer as well for other uses. 

Thank you for your help.
Donna

Donna,

Are we talking about ArcReader or ArcGIS Explorer? (this is the ArcGIS Explorer forum).

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Donna,

ArcReader is certainly one route to investigate. It may be worth considering ArcExplorer, but I would advise looking at ArcGIS Explorer instead.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos