View Counter Accuracy

Jump to solution
07-14-2022 07:27 AM
BethAnnWinebarger
New Contributor III

I created an Experience for a town event this past weekend and was looking forward to seeing the 'Usage' stats of ArcGIS Online for it. When I checked the stats for the Experience Builder itself, it showed 1 person accessed it over the weekend. However, when I check the Web Map that I used in the Experience, it shows about 1,700 people accessed it over the same time frame. 

The Web Map was only advertised via links and QR codes to the Experience Builder app.

Anyone know why there is such a difference in the View Counts for two items that are tied together?

Also here is a link to this weekend's event if anyone wants to check out an example of an Experience Builder by a local government: https://arcg.is/1y4jir0 

Beth Ann
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Keep in mind that the "view count" on the data can tick upwards in a single map view session as the user pans around the map and queries the service. One view of a map or app could be a 5-hour browsing session that involved dozens of views of the data.

Experience Builder is a bit harder to track on its own, but given that an EB item can practically be an entire website of its own, with many pages, tabs, and maps in it, a single view of an experience may not tell you much anyway.

I would consider using a third-party analytics tool alongside the Developer Edition of Experience Builder, if you need to closely monitor engagement in a meaningful way.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RaenaBallantyne_DeMaris
New Contributor II

I have been wondering this as well. Since the data, map, and app all have to have the same sharing level, I am wondering if there is a way to direct people more toward the app than the map or data it references. But I am having the same experience of the data and map having way, way more traffic than the app. It’s disappointing.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Keep in mind that the "view count" on the data can tick upwards in a single map view session as the user pans around the map and queries the service. One view of a map or app could be a 5-hour browsing session that involved dozens of views of the data.

Experience Builder is a bit harder to track on its own, but given that an EB item can practically be an entire website of its own, with many pages, tabs, and maps in it, a single view of an experience may not tell you much anyway.

I would consider using a third-party analytics tool alongside the Developer Edition of Experience Builder, if you need to closely monitor engagement in a meaningful way.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS