Select to view content in your preferred language

Point symbology sizing by map units as a buffer substitute

09-12-2024 07:37 PM
Labels (1)
ChrisH2
Regular Contributor

We have a pretty simple user requirement to show a 1km radius around field stations so that visual overlap between stations can be understood.

There are a heap of non-tangible attributes that determine the station location, so this is a human-driven approach, but once a location is chosen it's important to understand the collective area that's covered by applying a 1km buffer around say 5 nearby stations.

Station location is edited via a web map (Enterprise portal 11.2), and perhaps an ExB application in the future. Users are all Mobile Workers and cannot run the geoprocessing tools that are available in portal web maps. 

As this is a heavily visual approach, the buffers need to respond to the station location being moved around without much overhead. My ideal preference is to be able to use the same approach that you have in Pro where the point symbol size can be set to reflect the map units (e.g. 1km), or ideally reference an attribute that has different distances per feature. 

Can anyone recommend a way to accomplish this in either of the map viewers in Enterprise?  I can't currently see how this can be done with the default symbology options, nor with arcade.

I've looked at the ExB query widget and it would be workable if only it drew a graphic of the buffer

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I think you already answered some of the ways to do this but like you said might as well try 

"ideally reference an attribute that has different distances per feature. " in Pro and publish it to Enterprise for Map Viewer purposes.

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos