Hide a layer in the Map Layers Widget in Experience Builder

Jump to solution
02-02-2022 11:00 AM
sroberts_uuF21
New Contributor II

Hello! 

I am building out a simple mapping application using Experience Builder. I have a layer within my web map that I am using for arcade expressions within my popups but I don't want the layer showing up in my legend or layer list. In the past, when using map viewer classic and WAB, this process of hiding the layer in my layer list was pretty straightforward but it doesn't seem to be a functionality within Experience Builder/the new version of Map Viewer. 

I have figured out how to hide the layer from my legend but still no luck with the layer list. It seems like such a simple functionality, I would be surprised for it not to be supported yet. 

Any assistance is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks1

21 Replies
kreed
by
New Contributor II

Is there a way to have this functionality added to Experience Builder in Enterprise as well?

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

This feature will not be included until Enterprise 11.2.

0 Kudos
sroberts_uuF21
New Contributor II

@TonghuiMing this is great! Thank you!

0 Kudos
lzk222
by
New Contributor III

This may be a somewhat different issue, but how do I customize the layer widget ("tool") within the EB Map framework? I would like to achieve the same result of hiding some layers without removing them entirely from the web map.

lzk222_0-1690945803557.png

0 Kudos
JoshuaReyling
New Contributor II

If you select the layers widget in the Wxb editor, there is now an option to 'customize layers'.  selecting this pops out a new pane which will let you edit the visible layers in the widget.  This has no effect on the layer visibility on the map, but it can disallow the toggling of visibility:JoshuaReyling_1-1690989474301.png

Hope that helps!

lzk222
by
New Contributor III

Thanks, this is part of the solution. Note that what I'm speaking to is a little different. The difference is that the standalone layers widget is unlike the "tools" layer widget in terms of access and customization. My critique is that the "tools" widgets don't allow users the ability any level of customization (as is shown in your screenshot, JoshuaReyling)

.The solution to my use case is to, in fact...

• Add the layers list widget again (as standalone)
  • Enable the customizable layers function (as shown in this thread)
  • Uncheck the wanted layers
  • Hide the standalone widget behind the map (this part was a little tricky, but some trial and error achieved the desired result).

A somewhat convoluted process, but it works. Apparently, the standalone widgets interact with the "tools" widget on the backend...wouldn't be surprised if this is some kind of happy accident that ESRI engineers aren't even aware of.

Overall, I think it would be a significant improvement if  the devs could simply build in customization access for the "tools" versions of these widgets.

RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

@lzk222 Is this still working for you?

I am having issues trying to hide a layer in the layers tool rather than the layer widget.

RhettZufelt_0-1713990496990.png

However, before struggling to figure out how to 'hide' the layer list widget, It looks like the settings are not transferring over to the tool.

Curious if this is still working for you, or if you have found a new way to hide a layer in the built in layer tool

Really like the layer tool as it doesn't need a wiget, doesn't take up space until opened, and, has a legend in it as well.

I do see that the legend part honors the don't show in legend in the web map.

Thanks for any input,

R_

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

In the OOTB functions, the custom layers configurations are not supposed to be affected by the widget settings, since there are cases where multiple Layers widget are connected to the same map, and some might want them to display and control certain layers separately.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Thanks TonghuiMing, good to know.

So, still no way to hide layer visibility in the Layers 'Tool' then?  Do you know if there are any plans for it?

R_

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

That's correct. Unfortunately, there are no clear plans for that yet.

But we will watch the support and community feedback to evaluate continuously.