Experience does not load in Story Map Phone Layout

Jump to solution
09-29-2021 09:13 AM
JenniferLink1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I created a simple Experience that I embedded in a Story Map. It is a scrollable window with text in it that I needed to display a long disclaimer. It looks great within the Story Map when it is shown the browser on my laptop, but when I look at the story map on my phone, the Experience does not load.  Instead, where the disclaimer should be it says:

Experience

No Description

https://experience....

I can click on this link to open the scrollable window but I would like it to show up directly in the story map that is displayed in the browser on my phone. Is this a bug? Or is there a setting I need to implement in the Experience Builder?

Thanks!

Jen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JenniferLink1 -- Currently, content embedded in a story shows as a card on small screens, so this behavior is expected.

This is because most authors typically embed things like dashboards and mapping apps in their stories. There isn't room for these types of apps to be displayed inside a story in a small frame on small devices. The card is shown so readers can understand what the content is and, if they want to interact with it, they can tap it to open it in a new browser tab where they have more space.

However, we understand that some authors want to embed simpler pieces of content, so we have been considering an enhancement that should help in those cases where the embed would look and work fine on a smaller screen: we're looking at providing an option that would let you choose to show the live embed on small screens.

We don't currently have a date when this might be available, but it is on our list.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JenniferLink1 -- Currently, content embedded in a story shows as a card on small screens, so this behavior is expected.

This is because most authors typically embed things like dashboards and mapping apps in their stories. There isn't room for these types of apps to be displayed inside a story in a small frame on small devices. The card is shown so readers can understand what the content is and, if they want to interact with it, they can tap it to open it in a new browser tab where they have more space.

However, we understand that some authors want to embed simpler pieces of content, so we have been considering an enhancement that should help in those cases where the embed would look and work fine on a smaller screen: we're looking at providing an option that would let you choose to show the live embed on small screens.

We don't currently have a date when this might be available, but it is on our list.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
JenniferLink1
New Contributor III

Ok, I understand the need for the card. I do think a configuration setting to determine whether content is shown on smaller screens would be great if you are considering enhancement requests. Thanks for your quick response!

Jen

0 Kudos