ADA Accessibility

Jump to solution
09-05-2019 11:06 AM
ZorbaConlen1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, just joined the beta program and learning about this app. I'm wondering about ADA Accessibility for the app. Is that being built into it as a core feature? I would really encourage esri to take this approach. Web AppBuilder was a great product, but accessibility was pretty much hit or miss, in my experience.

Great to hear from someone at esri on this topic.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Zorba,

Accessibility is one of the key framework components of Experience Builder. We are building it into the core as you suggested. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Zorba Conlen‌ thank you for sharing this with us. I want to share some documentation we have at Esri about our commitment to Accessibility: Esri's Commitment to Accessibility | Esri Legal 

In these pages, we have some good information for reference but we also have two aliases you can reach out to with more specific questions or comments. 

Accessibility @ Esri

Section 508 @ Esri

ZorbaConlen1

Thanks for the info Christian.

0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Zorba,

Accessibility is one of the key framework components of Experience Builder. We are building it into the core as you suggested. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

ZorbaConlen1

Cool. Thanks.

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Zorba Conlen‌ thanks for bringing this up. I'd love to give some feedback for your reference -

First, I noticed the word "was" being used for Web AppBuilder - that's something that I want to clarify - Experience Builder is NOT a product designed to replace Web AppBuilder. They are two different, separate products and both builders will be running and maintained in parallel.

Second, I do understand why you feel somehow "hit or miss" in your experience and perhaps this is the reason:

As far as map interactions go, there is no easy solution or quick fix to fully support Section 508 and WCAG. The corresponding team members have put a lot of efforts into making Web AppBuilder accessible as much as possible during the past several releases with incremental enhancements, and it is still ongoing for 7.3. These kinds of efforts are built upon the long-existing WAB framework so there will be some limits about map-interactions or across-team component support.

MarisaKordecki
New Contributor II

@TonghuiMing Can you give me resources for the specific things I can do to be as ADA accessible as possible through Experience Builder? 

I'm having a very hard time figuring out exactly what I can do when using the AGOL Experience Builder. 

Thanks,

Marisa

studebakers_Boulder
New Contributor III

I second this. @TonghuiMing , if there are any resources you might be able to share, perhaps with tips and tricks for improving accessibility in Experience Builder that would be immensely helpful 🙂

0 Kudos
AJ_devaccount
Occasional Contributor

Hi @TonghuiMing were there any updates to the request for an accessibility user guide so that we could maximize accessibility in Experience Builder please?

Aurelija_RutaViluckyte
New Contributor III

I second this to @AJ_devaccount and @MarisaKordecki and @studebakers_Boulder - any guide has been prepared for us to be able to maximize accessibility in Experience Builder? @TonghuiMing @Jianxia