Select to view content in your preferred language

Action Conflicts between Map and Feature Info Widget when acting on Chart

11-08-2023 03:36 PM
TaraHaynes
Frequent Contributor

Goal: having the ability to filter a Chart either by selecting feature on Map or scrolling to feature in Feature Info widget

Issue: it does not seem to be possible to allow the user to filter chart both from the Map and from the Feature Info widget at this time

Alternative solution: allow scrolling between features to be disabled on Feature Info Widget

Configuration 1:
Map Action -

TaraHaynes_0-1699485530486.png

Feature Info - no Actions directly impacting Chart

TaraHaynes_1-1699485585012.png

Expected behaviour:
When record selection on map changes, either through clicking the map or scrolling through the Feature Info widget (which then selects record in map), Chart will be filtered

Actual behaviour:
Chart is filtered when feature is selected in map, but not when feature is 'selected' via scrolling through Feature Info widget

TaraHaynes_2-1699485768076.png

Configuration 2
Map Action - same as Configuration 1

Feature Info - Action set to filter Chart:

TaraHaynes_3-1699485861119.png

Expected Behaviour:
When record selection in Feature Info or Map changes Chart will be filtered

Actual Behaviour:
Chart is filtered when selected in Map, but gives INVALID CHART error when scrolling through Feature Info:

TaraHaynes_4-1699486068729.png

Configuration 3
Map Action - none

Feature Info - Action same as Configuration 2

Expected Behaviour:
When record selection in Feature Info changes, either scrolling through Feature Info widget or clicking on map, Chart will be filtered

Actual Behaviour:
Chart is filtered when scrolling through Feature Info widget, but defaults to no filter (ie. all features) when selecting record in map

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShengdiZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @TaraHaynes ,

I would recommend using Configuration 1.

You can create a data view to be used solely in the Chart widget. Then, similar to the map widget, in the Feature info widget you can add a "Record selection changes" action that targets the Framework - Filter data records action on the data view you created.

Regards,

Shengdi

0 Kudos
TaraHaynes
Frequent Contributor

Hi Shengdi,

I did create a data view for the chart; Configuration 2 & 3 are my attempts to use the "Record Selection Changes" option in the Feature Info widget both with and without an action set on the Map widget, so I believe I have tested your suggestion already... Please let me know if I have misunderstood!

Tara

0 Kudos
ShengdiZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, you set the action on the map widget, but I would recommend setting the action on the framework.

ShengdiZhang_0-1699867141836.png

It's generally better to set actions on the Framework level rather than the widget level. Targeting the action on the map widget will only filter the data displayed in that specific map view. However, by setting the action on the Framework, any other widgets that are using the same data source will also get filtered.

0 Kudos
TaraHaynes
Frequent Contributor

This is my configuration 2 as shown above, where I tried setting the action on the Framework. I did the same in configuration 3. The action on the map is just for zooming to the map, I have not set any actions that filter the map: 

Edit to add: this is the configuration that is giving me an INVALID CHART output. My issue is that I would like both the map and the feature info widget to be able to filter the chart, but the map filtering seems to conflict with the feature info filtering.

TaraHaynes_1-1699981964085.png

0 Kudos
AlexJennings-Howe
Occasional Contributor

Hi There,

Just to report I am having a similar conflict trying to filter records (framework) in a list based on selection changing on the map or another list. 

It seems that when a change in selection happens on the map and creates the filter, any subsequent selection made on the list tries to filter the already filtered record selection, and vice versa. However when you make subsequent selections on the same widget it appears to clear the filter before making the new filter, so it works fine.

Am I missing something? Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Alex

0 Kudos