Related Tables in ArcGIS Web Experience Builder

03-08-2021 07:23 AM
Labels (1)
LaurenMiller78
New Contributor III

Hello

I have read in the blog that having the ability for the web experience to ingest related tables is in ESRI's road map.  Does anyone know when that is planned? Ball park ? 6 months 6 years?

Many thanks for any intel 

14 Comments
DougBrowning

Thanks for the reminder to update this. Had a meeting with Esri 2 weeks ago directly on this and it is being worked on but no solid timelines.  They are working on editing a bit now but what I really need is just the Show Related Records button.  Thay had a slight maybe for more support in the fall.  I have a feeling it is at least the end of the year though. I get it can take time but it is now going to be 3 years past when they said.

Map Viewer Classic will be staying around with no plans to remove it yet, unlike Web app builder which is going away end of 2025.  So for now I plan to keep us on Map Viewer Classic until the 2026 field season.  We simply cannot live without relationships in a relataional database.

As part of the process meeting with Esri I have created/added to offical enhancemnet requests.  If any of you have access to support please contact them and add your name to these requests. And if you have a rep see if you can get it escalated @KristinaWhite  @Boyang_Wang @ChristopherCounsell @SolanaFoo2 @LaurenMiller78 @BrittanyBurson @MarceloRosensaft

ENH-000156741 : Enable ‘Show related records’ in pop-up of map viewer for ArcGIS Server services that are added as an item in ArcGIS Online

ENH-000145502 : View related records option is not available in the new Map viewer in the pop-ups when we click on a point / polygon / line feature unlike map viewer classic.

ENH-000158249 : No links to related tables in the attribute table in new Map Viewer like there is in Map Viewer Classic

ENH-000158250 : No link to open the attribute table in ArcGIS Experience Builder

ENH-000158251 : No link to related records in ArcGIS Experience Builder attribute table

thanks!

SolanaFoo2

@DougBrowning I gave up and started using tables with filters.  So one table with all the feature data, and another one next to it with tabs for the related tables that filter when you choose a record in the feature table...

Also tried using Arcade to pull in related data into the pop up but that's not scalable, you end up with this long scrolling pop up 😞

I will see about escalating, etc.  Thank you!

ChristopherCounsell

@DougBrowning thanks for the enhancements.

I don't think we can stay on classic until the end of 2023, let alone 2026. Web Apps on the 3.x API are getting dropped fast. Lots of new functionality - Field Maps, forms, browser, rendering - is in the new map viewer. 

What's concerning here is that Esri seems to be very far behind the curveball with handling data. Lots of new flashy stuff but they're taking a step backwards with data management.

There are some real key roadblocks in the data design for field data collection. This is going smash into the increased usage of Survey123 and related tables. e.g.

• Lack of support for viewing photos unless attached to parent geometry
  • Not possible to prevent users from deleting photos if they have Update editing capability
  • Sync issues with field maps due to image size
  • clunky designer and user experience to show related records
  • Others, these are just today's 😄

Having a single point feature and related table is not new. It's a well established template that's demonstrated frequently by Esri. There's feature layer templates for this.

But there are some major gaps in data collection and viewing functionality. It's difficult to securely and efficiently provide access to related records or attachments across the platform.

QuantitativeFuturist

@DougBrowning  I just heard that related record editing for non-hosted feature layers will not be released until ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 which will be towards the end of the year. Absolutely unacceptable timelines from esri they should be ashamed of the licensing costs for barely functioning software.