Legend Widget - An option to just use a static image

02-18-2021 09:03 PM
DaveFullerton
Occasional Contributor III

Legends have been a problem since the days of ArcIMS.  I imagine that there are plans for building a much more configurable dynamic Legend Widget someday for ExB, but the way things work right now the legend widget just doesn't work well enough in some cases.   Sometimes a static image would work better.  It would be nice to have the option to simple upload an image or set a URL to reference one.  

The Image Widget comes close to working for this, but when it is in a widget controller, you cannot change the svg icon for the button that appears in the controller.  Another issue with the image widget is that there are fit and fill 'Position' options, but a 'none' option (the image is not resized) would be much better because the images become blurry from the resampling when resizing takes place with fit and fill.

image.png

Tags (2)
6 Comments
ShengdiZhang

Hi Dave,

If you want to change how image widget icon appears in a widget controller, you can update the icon by clicking here:

ShengdiZhang_0-1613979226187.png

Regards,

Shengdi

DaveFullerton

Thanks, Shengdi.  I never noticed that functionality.  It almost solves the problem.  How do I select the icon for the Legend Widget?

ShengdiZhang

Hi Dave,

Changing the icon of the legend widget in the widget controller is similar to changing the icon of the image widget.

1. Add a widget controller

2. Click Add widget button on the widget controller, and choose Legend widget to add

ShengdiZhang_0-1614044610817.png

3. Click the added Legend on the widget controller, then the setting panel on the right will show Legend settings. You can change the icon appears in the widget controller by changing the icon of the legend widget.

ShengdiZhang_1-1614044796346.png

Regards,

Shengdi

DaveFullerton

Sorry, Shengdi, my question was worded poorly.  If I want to use the Image widget, but I want to change it's icon to the Legend Widget's icon, how do I select that specific Icon?  That Legend Widget's icon does not seem to appear in the list of icons.

ShengdiZhang

Hi Dave, 

You can upload your own icon here:

ShengdiZhang_1-1614056541378.png

If you want to use the same icon as the legend widget, you can try this one:

legend.png

And image in widget controller will show like this

ShengdiZhang_2-1614056677761.png

Regards,

Shengdi

DaveFullerton

OK, thanks!