URGENT (Create new site)

02-05-2013 06:38 AM
TubaKumbara
Occasional Contributor
While creating new site

What can cause to give the error below?
"Failed to create the site. The configuration store location contains server configuration files that are being used by another site."

It takes nearly 5 minutes after I click the "Create New Site" button.
At last it gives firstly "One or more server machines could not be stopped" error message.
Then it gives the error above.

It is really important.I dont know what to do..
What must i do to solve this problem?

Please help
7 Replies
jonathangamble
New Contributor III
Are you able to provide any additional details ...

Where is your configuration store located, on the physical server or on a network path?

Is there an already existing configuration store in the same location?
0 Kudos
TubaKumbara
Occasional Contributor
Ok i am telling you details.
arcgisserver folder is located in C directory on the machine.not on a network path
There are "config-store" and "directories" folders in the arcgisserver folder.

What do you mean by asking "Is there an already configuration store in the same location" ?
In the config-store folder there is ".site" folder.
I deleted this folder and I tried to create the site again.
This time it gives the error "Failed to create the site.Failed to configure the server machine 'COMPUTERNAME.DOMAINNAME'.Server machine 'COMPUTERNAME.DOMAINNAME' is not a local server machine."
I want to say that there is nothing wrong with my computer name.
but it appears in the error message that domain name has a 'İ' Turkish character in it.
normally my server name is like "MY-GIS101-01.gis.net" but it seems that ArcGIS server sees the server name as "MY-GIS101-01.GİS.NET".It uses the upper chars..
And it creates a folder  in config-store\machines\ as "MY-GIS101-01.GİS.NET".

My server is Windows 2008 Server R2 (English) SP1.
I only change the keyboard settings as Turkish.

May the problem be about this server name?

I really need help.I cannot do anything from this point..
Any suggestions please?
0 Kudos
JustinRodriguez
Occasional Contributor
Hello
This happens sometimes. This is the workflow I use to resolve the issue

Please just use C:\ drive to create the config store and directories for now. You can move them to a different location later.

1.Remove any config store and directories that are left from previous installs. You can accomplish this by renaming them or deleting them.

2. Start the site creation, when you get the error, leave site creation running.

3. Navigate to the place of the config store and delete it

4. Resume the site creation, this should allow you to continue the installation.

Please let me know if this helped. Thanks-
TubaKumbara
Occasional Contributor
This happens sometimes. This is the workflow I use to resolve the issue
Please just use C:\ drive to create the config store and directories for now. You can move them to a different location later.
1.Remove any config store and directories that are left from previous installs. You can accomplish this by renaming them or deleting them.
2. Start the site creation, when you get the error, leave site creation running.
3. Navigate to the place of the config store and delete it
4. Resume the site creation, this should allow you to continue the installation.
Please let me know if this helped. Thanks-

Hi,
what do you mean by saying that this happens sometimes?
What can cause this situation?
I really did several times what you have told in your message.
This didin't help me.
But i will tell you sth interesting.
I uninstalled ArcGIS 10.1 for Server SP1.
Then i installed ArcGIS 10.1 for Server.(without SP1)
I successfully created site.After that, I installed the SP1 setup.Everything is OK.
I see that in config-store\machines folder , there are files or directories called "MY-ARC101-01" just my server name (without domain name)
But when I installed the ArcGIS 10.1 for Server SP1 firstly, during site creation the config-store\machines folder contains files or folders called "MY-ARC101-01.GİS.NET" (gis.net is the domain name). domain name is changed to "GİS.NET" (İ is the upper of i in Turkish)
I know from the previous versions of ArcGIS Server that there is no Turkish support.
Does this situation continue? if so why does ArcGIS Server (without SP1) setup works?

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
JustinRodriguez
Occasional Contributor
Hello again,
I am glad that you were able to resolve the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling.

So I am not sure the cause of this, but I have seen it happen a couple of times. So the config-stores have unique identifiers for each installation. Even if you are using the same machine to connect to the config store, each time you connect to the config store, you get a new unique identifier.
It seems that sometimes a unique identifier gets placed in the config-store, which will basically be read by the site creation process, and it will not allow you to over-write, or connect to the config-store.
To further complicate things, sometimes on creation, no matter where you point to place the config-store, it wants to place it on C: drive. This doesn't happen very often, and usually happens after you have installed once, deleted the config store, and are now trying to recreate in a new spot.

Basically the steps to correct this are as I described. Just wait for the error, find the config-store, rename it or delete it depending on if you would like to keep it or not, and just continue the site creation. After everything is created you can move the config store and directories using Manager.

Also, you asked about Turkish support. I am not sure. If you can, I would encourage you just to install the English version, as it is the most widely used, so bugs are more quickly identified with it. Thank you very much-
0 Kudos
Thanh_LeNguyen
New Contributor II

I had same problem, but it was solved.

1. Delete all the folders and files in three folder: config-store, directories and logs

2. Run Configure ArcGIS Server Account (in program files shortcut) to reconfigure the account

Done

User35489
Occasional Contributor III

I encountered the same issue in ArcGIS Server 10.6 ... updating directories location from one network path(A) to another(B),

Updating directories location for arcgisconfig, arcgiscache & arcgisoutput, worked well, without any errors
However, while updating/changing location for arcgisjobs & arcgissystem directories, i faced this issue

Below steps helped me to resolve it:

1. Updated folder location of arcgisjobs and arcgissystem to c:/temp/arcgisjobs and c:/temp/arcgissystem

2. Updated folder location of above dir's to desired network location path(B) (Faced same issue)
2. Updated folder location of above dir's to different Network location (C)
4. Updated folder location of above dir's to desired network location path(B)

I hope this will help