Upgrading ArcGIS Enterprise

07-16-2020 02:20 PM
EmilyLee2
New Contributor III

Hello GeoNet,

1)  I'm currently on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1, do I need to first upgrade to 10.7 before upgrading it to 10.8?  

2)  Will I need to take the same upgrading steps again when upgrading to 10.8.1?

3)  When upgrading to Portal, it says "no need to manually Reindex if content is on a file system."  How do I know if my content is on a 'file system'?

4)  If we didn't use the 'Builder' on the last 10.6.1 upgrade (Jump start), can we still use the Builder for the upgrade?

Thanks a lot!

Emily

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

No, there was a great session at the Virtual-UC covering upgrades. You don't need to do a interim upgrade before 10.8.x

0 Kudos
EmilyL
by
Occasional Contributor

Thank you David.  Yes, I've seen the UC Upgrading to ArcGIS Enterprise session.  But I will need to re-watch it again for sure.  Thanks again!

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Emily,

1)  I'm currently on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1, do I need to first upgrade to 10.7 before upgrading it to 10.8?  

2)  Will I need to take the same upgrading steps again when upgrading to 10.8.1?

A1 and A2. No, you can upgrade from 10.6.1 directly to 10.8.

3)  When upgrading to Portal, it says "no need to manually Reindex if content is on a file system."  How do I know if my content is on a 'file system'?

A3. Where does it say this? In my experience, it is always a good idea and best practice to reindex Portal.

4)  If we didn't use the 'Builder' on the last 10.6.1 upgrade (Jump start), can we still use the Builder for the upgrade?

A4. It depends - do you just have a base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise? Are all the components installed and running on a single machine? or do you have a more complex deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise?

Some resources:

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
EmilyL
by
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply and resource links, Derek. 

Somewhere when it talks about 'Upgrading Portal' part at the Upgrading ArcGIS Enterprise UC session, they've mentioned "...no need to manually Reindex if content is on a file system."  But maybe I've misunderstood.  I'll definitely re-watch it.  

As whether be able to use the Builder for the upgrade if we didn't use it at the first place... We have a base deployment running on a single machine.  Not a complex deployment.

DEWright_CA
Occasional Contributor III

No you are right about the manual re-index; there were several places they talk about how post 10.7.1 when you are upgrading portal it will automatically re-index in the post-install. This is nice feature improvement...

0 Kudos