Select to view content in your preferred language

Two Different Services Somehow Linked

Jump to solution
12-14-2023 01:08 PM
JoshBillings
Occasional Contributor II

Hey all,

I have a rather odd occurrence and I'm honestly not sure if I explain this by typing but here it goes.

I have a service published to ArcGIS Server that is being ingested in a web application in ArcGIS Online.  Let's call this "Service A." The layers in the web application in AGOL reference the URL for Service A.

There is another running service ("Service B") on ArcGIS Server that has basically the same layers in it. This service is no longer being used and I want to stop the service. There are no known references to Service B in AGOL. 

When I try to stop Service B in Server Manager, it affects Service A and the layers are not able to be loaded in AGOL. The AGOL map states that the layers can't be loaded.

Likewise, if I turn Service A off, the layers will also not load.

Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this? Somehow these two services are linked.

Thanks!

Josh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshBillings

I think I figured it out.

I used AGOL Assistant to look at the JSON for the web maps that is consuming the services. The JSON shows the layers as using the URL from Service B rather than Service A.

Does anyone know if and how it will impact my web map if I change the URL in the JSON?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Is one a feature service and one a map service by any chance?

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
JoshBillings

@Scott_Tansley Both are map services with Feature Access capabilities

0 Kudos
JoshBillings

I think I figured it out.

I used AGOL Assistant to look at the JSON for the web maps that is consuming the services. The JSON shows the layers as using the URL from Service B rather than Service A.

Does anyone know if and how it will impact my web map if I change the URL in the JSON?

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

As long as Service A is running then using AGOL Assistant is a normal approach.  Just read the information that says "it's not at your risk".  Just be careful, double check as the URL may exist in more than one place.  Make sure that your layer ordering/indices (numbers) are equal across both services etc.  Standard, sensible checks required.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/