SQL Server 2012 Native Client Issues

1465
5
12-15-2016 01:45 PM
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

We're running ArcGIS and Server 10.3. I'm trying to register a SQL 2012 database on our server. I'm able to create a connection file through ArcMap on a computer across our network. When I export this document to the Server machine and try to register the database I get this error:

"The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized. Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications software that is not compatible with the SQL Server database server."

We have verified that we have SQL Server native client version 11.3.6020 installed on the ArcMap workstation. We found that Native Client version 11.0 was installed on our SQL server virtual machine and ArcGIS server virtual machine (both housed on the same server over our network). We tried to download and install the latest native client version (11.3) on both of these servers. The installer says "an older version of native client was detected on your machine, do you want to upgrade?" or something to that effect. We say yes, install and restart the machine. We did this on both the SQL server and ArcGIS server VMs and they both still show version 11.0 when we run the odbcad32.exe command to check the drivers. We're stumped. 

Has anyone had a similar problem? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

I have no idea if this will help you or not, but we had a similar error on our servers just a couple of weeks ago.  It wasn't a driver problem at all, although the error would lead you to believe that was the source of the error.  It turned out that we needed to have a fully qualified domain in our database connection parameters.  We had to work with our database administrators (not GIS people) to get our connection parameters set up.  

It started out as something like 

sddbsqldxxx\sddsqldxxx  (our internal naming convention, so I've blanked out some of it).  This was changed to 

sddbsqldxxx.domain.mo.us\sddsqldxxx  

domain.mo.us would be your specific fully qualified domain name.  Once we changed our definition to include it, we were able to register the data source just fine.  

LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Tracy. We did set up a domain, and I'm able to connect to the SQL server over the network through ArcMap on the domain. I still can't register the SQL database with the ArcGIS server. I was wrong though, the two versions of Native Client were slightly different. We'll try to sync them, and see if that helps. 

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

Tracy,

Did you add your FQDN as a user in the SQL database you were trying to register? 

0 Kudos
LloydBronn
Occasional Contributor II

OK. I was able to login to the database through ArcMap using our FQDN. I tried again to register the database using the new .sde that was created and got the same exact error. I've confirmed that both machines have the same versions of SQL Native Client. I'm not sure where to go from here. 

0 Kudos
TracySchloss
Frequent Contributor

 I know it is particular about making sure you have the right 64 bit driver.  I have no administrative permissions on our SQL Server servers (or any servers for that matter), and therefore can't take you any farther than the tip I gave you.  I always look over every compatibility matrix I can find on the ESRI site. 

0 Kudos