Select to view content in your preferred language

Secured KML Service

05-17-2016 01:08 PM
TomGraham
New Contributor III

Is it possible to consume a KML service in Google Earth and/or ArcGIS explorer that is secured?  When I create the service it works fine, but as soon as I add security to the service nothing happens.  We are using ArcGIS Server 10.2.

Would be great if we could get a login box for the user to enter credentials.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaulLohr
Regular Contributor

I don't have an answer. An additional way to verify that a service's security is the problem is to load the KMZ link into ArcGIS Earth. It is setup to handle ArcGIS Server security.

0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Regular Contributor

Here is an experimental idea which could enable authenticated access via Google Earth to a KML web service through a Network Link on ArcGIS Server. I don't have a spare ArcGIS Server / Web Adapter / IIS environment to test this on. Assuming you are using Web Adapter, try enabling Integrated Windows Authentication. There is a topic in the Web Adapter version 7.1 documentation titled 'Configure Web Tier Authentication with Integrated Windows Authentication'. You'll want to read and follow those steps. Doing this means the built-in token-based security in Server will no longer be used. I am using the built-in token security and cannot make this change easily. Maybe, just maybe, when Google Earth makes a call to the ArcGIS Server web service for KML content (through the Network Link), either a login dialog will be presented or IIS will seamlessly / silently accept the credentials that are running the Google Earth session.

I have not considered the issues this might cause with Portal or AGOL and how to get around those.

I sure am interested to hear the results of anyone who might be able to test this.

0 Kudos