Select to view content in your preferred language

Searching for data in ArcGIS Enterprise

06-19-2023 10:21 PM
Y_Maree
New Contributor

I'm trying to use the search box in my organization's ArcGIS Enterprise portal to find items containing data I am interested in. I have the same item published to both the ArcGIS Enterprise portal (10.9.1) and to ArcGIS Online. When I use the search box in ArcGIS Online, it brings up the item I'm interested in. But when I use the same search terms in ArcGIS Enterprise, the item does not appear in the search.

What I'm trying to do/understand is:

Y_Maree_0-1687237586992.png

• Can the search box in ArcGIS Enterprise be set to also encompass an item's (e.g. feature layer's) ISO-19139 metadata?
  • Can the search box in ArcGIS Enterprise also search a feature layer's attribute field names?
  • Why does the search box in ArcGIS Online work differently to the one in ArcGIS Enterprise?

Further context:

My feature layer is large and contains numerous attributes (over 100 fields), too many to include in the item description. All portal item details are populated with considerable detail, including tags. I would like other users of the platform to be able to find the information contained in the feature layer using keywords if possible, without having to include a tag for every possible key term. 

Example:

An attribute field's alias contains the words 'apple' and 'tree.' A search for the keywords 'apple tree' brings up the dataset in ArcGIS Online but not in ArcGIS Enterprise. Because of the large amount of data, only general concepts are included in the item's description and summary; not every possible search term. The two keywords also appear in the item's ISO-19139 metadata.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Replies