Schema Lock

08-11-2023 08:29 AM
Ivy_Hinson
New Contributor III

I just started a new position where my ArcGIS Enterprise account was supposed to be set up as an admin. Every time I try to edit our database I get the "schema lock" error. I have tried going into ArcCatalog and seeing where the lock is but when I right click the geodatabase I don't have the "Administrator" option. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Good morning Ivy, go into your geodatabase and right click on one of the feature classes, and you should see the Administer option.  If it is grayed out, then you are not the owner of the data.  You should be able to remove the lock from here.

Ivy_Hinson
New Contributor III

It's not that it's grayed out, it's not present at all.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

It sounds like they did not give you admin rights to the database or make you the owner of it.

Ivy_Hinson
New Contributor III

I suspected as much but I'm the only one with GIS experience at my org. I am contacting our rep and seeing if I can get help there. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

I am sorry the lock option is under manage on the individual feature classes.

ChadKopplin

Make sure the managers of your database server, have given you the correct roles on the geodatabase.

ChadKopplin

Work with your admin group to have them make you the owner of the database as well.

ChadKopplin

It would be good if they would allow you to be an admin on the server.  Here at Wyoming DEQ our central IT group has made me an admin on our agencies GIS server, and the same on the GIS instance in our central SQL server bank of servers, then I do have admin rights in any geodatabase that I create.  I hope all of this helps.