Select to view content in your preferred language

Restrict Publisher from accessing Server Manager

3 weeks ago
xingchenc
Frequent Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to block Publisher from accessing the server manager site?

Our server is currently federated into Portal, and any user with Publisher role in portal can log into server manager. It's a potential sercurity risk because they can modify quite a few settings as well as stop system GP service if they intend to, i.e. causing system down if they decide to stop the publishing GP service.

While we need those users in the Publisher role because they need to publish resources in Portal, so this leaves us wondering if there is a setting to restrict users other than Admin from log into server manager?

Please let me what you think and is there a workaround here?

~~~~~

Updated:Created a post in the idea section, hope this gets ESRI staff's attention.

Restrict Publisher's Capability in ArcGIS Server M... - Esri Community

4 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

No, there's not a way to restrict access to Server Manager with users who have the Publisher role. Depending on the version of ArcGIS Enterprise in place, some of the options of Server Manager (starting and stopping user published services, adjusting features, enabling / disabling SOE / SOIs) are even being brought into the settings page for under Item Details.

xingchenc
Frequent Contributor

Hi Reese,

@ReeseFacendini 

Yes, users should have the ability to change the settings of the service they have published, this part I have no problem with.

But with current design, they could also start/stop system GP, change system service parameters, like in the screenshot below, which in my opinion it's bad design and this should be admin's previlege not user's.

xingchenc_0-1724814969946.png

xingchenc_1-1724815088556.png

MichaelJenkins
Frequent Contributor

This makes a lot of sense to me.   A non-admin user should not be able to control services they do not own.

GISP
xingchenc
Frequent Contributor

Created a post in the idea section, hope this gets ESRI staff's attention.

Restrict Publisher's Capability in ArcGIS Server M... - Esri Community

0 Kudos