Register Oracle Database 12c with Arcgis Server 10.2.1 Issue

Jump to solution
06-04-2014 03:20 PM
RodolfoMoreno1
New Contributor II
Hi All, my case is the following:
In the GIS server I have installed oracle client 11g r2 32 bits to connect Arcgis Desktop to oracle DB and also I have installed the oracle client 11g r2 64 bits to register Oracle with ArcGIS Server.
The connection from AGS Desktop to oracle has been done succesfully, however the moment of register the ORA database with ArcGIS Server I got the following error:
[Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load.  Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.]
Thanks in advance
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
I am glad to hear that it started to work. I did not mention that you need to "restart" the ArcGIS clients (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, etc....) after updating the PATH variable, sorry.

Please mark the post as a correct answer.  :cool:

-George
--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_Thompson
Rodolfo,

Sounds like you may have the PATH variable for the clients incorrect. The 64-bit client goes first in the PATH variable if you have desktop and server installed on the same machine.

Are you using the full Oracle client or the Instant Client provided by Esri?

Here is the documentation for Registering an Oracle database with server: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//015400000617000000

Hopefully this will help!

-George
--- George T.
0 Kudos
RodolfoMoreno1
New Contributor II
Thanks George,
I think that the dba install the full oracle client. Is there any difference between the full client and the provided by esri?
We did what say in the link that you sent me. In the PATH variable we put first the 64 bits and next 32 bits but without success.
what could it be happening?
As an comment in this GIS Server initially installed the oracle client 12 of 32 bits but ArcGIS Desktop could not connect to oracle then we installed the oracle client 11g 32 bits and we could connect ArcGIS Desktop to oracle. After we install the oracle client 11g 64 bits to connect ArcGIS Server but without success.
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
The client that Esri provides is an Instant Client (Light weight). You are not required to install the full client to make a connection. You could test by downloading the Instant Client form the Customer Care Portal and follow in the installation instructions.

Setting up a connection to Oracle: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//002n00000038000000

You may want to verify that the Oracle 12c client was completely removed from the PATH variable.

Is the Oracle DB installed on Linux or Windows for the O/S?

-George
--- George T.
0 Kudos
RodolfoMoreno1
New Contributor II
Thanks George,
Finally I could register my oracle database with my ArcGIS Server 10.2.1. I just reboot the GIS Server and the setting is as it say in the arcgis resource.
My oracle DB is in Linux red hat 6.4.
Best Regards,
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
I am glad to hear that it started to work. I did not mention that you need to "restart" the ArcGIS clients (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, etc....) after updating the PATH variable, sorry.

Please mark the post as a correct answer.  :cool:

-George
--- George T.
0 Kudos
RodolfoMoreno1
New Contributor II
George,
How can I mark the post as a correct answer?
0 Kudos
SG
by
New Contributor II

Does one need to have ArcGIS Server to work with Oracle? Can't we just use ArcGIS Desktop to connect to Oracle(or any other RDBMS)?

SG