Questions about Automatic Backup During ArcGIS Data Store Upgrade Process

01-05-2024 02:24 AM
Lerman
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone!

In the ArcGIS Data Store upgrade documentation(https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/11.0/administer/windows/upgrade-data-store.htm), Esri advises:
Before upgrading a relational data store or tile cache data store, check the size of the ArcGIS Data Store directory on each machine. Ensure that the machine contains enough free disk space to accommodate double the size of the ArcGIS Data Store directory.

I conducted an upgrade test for ArcGIS Data Store, and in my tile cache data store, there is a 10GB scene cache. However, during the ArcGIS Data Store upgrade process, I did not observe any backup of the ArcGIS Data Store related to this, and my available disk space remained essentially unchanged.

My first question is, why does my test result differ from the documentation? Is it necessary to reserve double the available disk space?

My second question is, where is the default directory for the backups generated during the upgrade, and can this location be changed?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

I am not sure why they have that requirement for the upgrade. My guess would be a copy of the contents of the directory are made during the upgrade. I know that is what happens to the content directory for Portal for ArcGIS. I would highly recommend following Esri's recommendation to manually create backups of all your data stores before proceeding with the upgrade.

As for your last two questions, the describedatastore command will show you where your backups are currently saved and the configurebackuplocation will let you change the location if needed. I hope that helps.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos