Portal Install Fails with datastore errors?

05-06-2019 04:03 PM
LeahCreiglow1
New Contributor II

After installing portal for arcgis 10.7 on Windows Server 2008 I am attempting to create a site and it is failing. The errors I am seeing are:

There was an error creating your initial administrator account. java.lang.Exception: Failed to initialize the database. The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user  "xxxxx". This user must also own the server process. ....

initdb: could not execute command ".....postgres.exe"

In the event log I find several PostgreSQL errors:

pg_ctl: directory "xxxxx...." is not a database cluster directory.

I have no postgreSQL service listed under services. 

In the portal log folder I find this: The process monitor did not find the connection to the configuration store. The site may not have been initialized.

On this server I have installed GIS Server 10.7 and have configured and tested that a cert is bound to 443 in IIS. 

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

3 Replies
ChristoforosKatsaounis
Esri Contributor

Hi Leah, 

Is this a fresh install or an upgrade?

Did you also try running the installer as an Administrator?

LeahCreiglow1
New Contributor II

So just to document what this error was pointing to: in our security context, local accounts (even administrators) did not have the ability to launch an exe within a process in an elevated context, which is what is required with the pgsql commands I believe. Once I changed this to run under a domain account that was an administrator this was able to create. 

ChristoforosKatsaounis
Esri Contributor

Thank you for closing the loop, and good to hear it worked! It's stated in our documentation that the account used to install Portal can be a local or domain account, so sounds like it might be due to this environments specific security settings. 

Thank you,
Christof

0 Kudos