Overwrite Locator Service using Pro

01-08-2019 06:11 AM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

I recently published a composite locator service using Pro to our Portal (with a federated Server).  I re-built the individual locators and would now like to re-publish / overwrite the composite locator service, but don't see a way of doing that within Pro.

Am I missing a tool or toolbar somewhere?  How does one update / overwrite locator services using Pro?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
LeviCecil

Thank you. I will try this out. That page says "We recommend using Pro 2.5 to overwrite your geocoding services. In Pro 2.5 you can overwrite services on both standalone server and on a federated Portal. This script is meant for users that are using an earlier version of Pro." I'm assuming this is directed at Beta testers. Is there a general release date for 2.5?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.5 will be the next release, which will have the ability to overwrite geocoding services on Enterprise portal and standalone ArcGIS Server through the UI like you can in ArcMap/ArcCatalog. In ArcGIS Pro 2.4 you can publish to standalone ArcGIS Server. If you have access to the Early Adopter Program, you can test out the new functionality in 2.5 beta.

0 Kudos
LeviCecil

OK, but will I still need to use the script you linked to in order to overwrite locator services in Python? Or will overwrite_existing_service=True work in 2.5?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Levi:

If you are wanting to automate the publishing and overwrite process you will need to use Python, so using the script I mentioned is still needed for overwrite. As far as your issue with publishing the original locator created with the Create Locator tool...

1. The locators created with the tool have suggestions built in, there is no parameter to check to enable suggestions like with the Create Address Locator tool.

2. If you publish the locator created with Create Locator tool using Python 3.6 does the service and suggestions work? It is not recommended to publish locators created with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro using Python 2.7. Python 2.7 is for ArcMap, which does not support the locators created with the Create Locator tool in Pro. Once the locator is published as a service, it can then be used in ArcMap. 

0 Kudos
LeviCecil

I can't publish locators at all from Python 3.6. It spits out vague errors.

ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server's log for more details.

ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service.

Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

Failed.

Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

Failed.

Failed to execute (UploadServiceDefinition).

I have to publish manually from Pro, or from Python 2.7 (which keeps the suggestions off, so also isn't an option). 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Levi:

1. Is the locator you are publishing a composite locator or a single locator created with the Create Locator tool?
  2. What version of ArcGIS Server are you publishing the locator to? Is it federated?
  3. Do you get the same error messages when you publish a locator created with the Create Address Locator tool using Python 3.6?
  4. Do you have a data store setup on the server you are publishing to? I'm asking this based on the info in the error code topic 

001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the se...  It would be good to see what info is in the server logs. Server logs—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 
0 Kudos
LeviCecil

Shana,

1. Single locator created with Create Locator

2. Server 10.7.1. Not federated with Portal.

3. Yes

4. I'm not sure. Our server was set up and hosted by a 3rd Party and we are in the R&D stage. I will ask them about the data store. The server logs only display the errors I pasted above. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Levi:

Do you know if a copy of the locator that is being published is stored on the server that the 3rd party setup for you?

Do you have access to ArcGIS Server manager to check for any data stores?

0 Kudos
LeviCecil

I do. There aren't any data stores. I was just able to successfully overwrite my locator on the server using the script you linked to. So I'll just import that as a module in my script going forward. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

See the comment here for publishing and overwrite solution via Python 3.6, the copy_data_to_server parameter is missing. https://community.esri.com/thread/245276-server-geolocator-publishing-fails-in-python-36-but-works-i... 

0 Kudos