Moving ArcGIS Desktop and Server installed on the C: drive to a new D: drive

Jump to solution
01-27-2016 07:23 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

we currently have ArcGIS Desktop and Server installed on the C: drive on a server machine. We also have a site created with services with that install. is there a preferred way moving everything over to the new 😧 drive thats been placed on the machine?

thanks for the help, newbie here looking for help!

Dave

Subject was edited by: Timothy Hales

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dave,

You can easily change the server directories using ArcGIS Server Manager:

Editing a server directory in Manager—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

However, if you are looking to change the entire installation, I believe you will have to perform an uninstall/reinstall.  I would recommend looking into backing up and restoring your ArcGIS Server Site Configuration:

Back up and restore your ArcGIS Server site configuration—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS f...

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Are you just running out of space on C:\? If so, maybe this thread​ will help you to offload some of that to D:\

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dave,

You can easily change the server directories using ArcGIS Server Manager:

Editing a server directory in Manager—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

However, if you are looking to change the entire installation, I believe you will have to perform an uninstall/reinstall.  I would recommend looking into backing up and restoring your ArcGIS Server Site Configuration:

Back up and restore your ArcGIS Server site configuration—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS f...

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

To add to what Jake mention, I like to split the ArcGIS Server install between my C and D, keeping all the caches and output on D (although I have multiple output locations, including some one other server ---web if I remember correctly machines).

This is how I set our up (for an example....never hurts to get a look at how others do it)

EDIT: should have included this graphic too...

As for the Desktop, I keep that install on C, but have most of my MXD and FGDB on D (or elsewhere).

DaveTenney

thank you all so much for your help....it is greatly appreciated!

we are trying to mirror real world servers that everything on the D drive. currently on our local server we have everything on the C drive. so were in the process of moving everything.

thanks again for your help!

Dave

DaveTenney

forgot to mention that we do keep our caches and output separate as well.

current state:

install is on c: drive

outputs are on t: drive

dave

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

will reinstalling server and specifying the root directories to use what was used for the previous install for your site overwrite the existing directories and their contents?

dave

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dave, can you maybe change your question header to something a bit more descriptive?  Another poster today might have found this if the title was a bit more related to the question.  Luckily, I remembered this post and gave him the link.

I'm not sure how easy that is to do, but I'll cc Timothy Hales​  in case it's harder than just editing.

BTW - I think the thread # remains the same (for links) ...just the title changes....at least that is my understanding.

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Rebecca Strauch, GISP​ You are correct, you can change the title without affecting the URL. I have updated the question title/subject to a more descriptive text. Thanks!

DaveTenney

All,

well after a great learning day and baptism by fire, it was a successful day!

everything is transferred over to d: and our site is up and running like it never went away.

still a lot to learn so im sure you will all see many more posts/questions to come in the future.

thanks again!

dave