Make Query Table not Supported?

11-08-2012 06:46 AM
JamesMann
New Contributor
I've attempted to publish an mxd to ArcGIS Server 10.1, only to find that a layer I've created with the 'Make Query Table' tool throws a 'Layer's data source is not supported' error.

Is there no support for publishing this to a service? I'm using the make query table tool to publish a layer with a one-to-many relationship (one point, joined to many records). This join works perfectly in ArcMap. I'm not sure if there's a way around this or if its just not possible to do this, documentation on this is lacking.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DonCaviness
New Contributor III
I've attempted to publish an mxd to ArcGIS Server 10.1, only to find that a layer I've created with the 'Make Query Table' tool throws a 'Layer's data source is not supported' error.

Is there no support for publishing this to a service? I'm using the make query table tool to publish a layer with a one-to-many relationship (one point, joined to many records). This join works perfectly in ArcMap. I'm not sure if there's a way around this or if its just not possible to do this, documentation on this is lacking.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Any luck with this?  I am trying to do the same thing.  I have created a layer from the 'Make Query Table' tool that is working like it should, I just can't publish to server.  I have attempted creating the same layer with the 'Make Query Layer' tool and the 'Add Query Layer' tool under the 'Add Data' option ( both can be published to Server but neither return the same results as the 'Make Query Table' Tool. 

Any advice on this?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Are you using an RDBMS or local data (I.e., file GDB)?  If you have access to the SDE command tools and credentials to create a view at the RDBMS level (assuming you're using oracle or SQL Server) then you could use the SDETABLE  -O CREATE_VIEW command to generate a spatial view.  It's supported and may give faster performance depending on the amount of data you have joined. 

The 10.0 help should still be applicable here:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002n000000t1000000
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
I can't find the NIMs that track the issues - but I do know there was some problems regarding query layers in 10.1 (both map services and gp services if I remember correctly).
There were fixes that went into 10.2 for both service types. There could be a couple more fixes in the upcoming release of 10.2.1 as well. (If I'm able to find more information, I'll add it back in here).
0 Kudos