License server administrator 2021

Jump to solution
07-14-2021 06:59 AM
DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

We have Enterprise 7.0 federated portal with SAML logins with a redirected URL running on Windows Server 2019. I log into ArcGIS Pro with my domain acct. which is setup as an admin in Portal. Since upgrading the License server administrator I have to log into the Server machine and manually re-read licenses each morning before I can open Pro. Any helpful ideas appreciated.

I have noticed this in the debug log for License Server Admin:

1:30:38 (ARCGIS) Wrong hostid on SERVER line for license file:

1:30:38 (ARCGIS) C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\LicenseManager\bin\service.txt

1:30:38 (ARCGIS) SERVER line says VM_UUID=E0C007B4-AE71-489E-ABE9-C6350F48EE93, hostid is VM_UUID=E0C007B4-AE71-489E-ABE9-C6350F48EE93

1:30:38 (ARCGIS) Invalid hostid on SERVER line

1:30:38 (ARCGIS) Disabling 1 license from feature ACT(0E33 13F7 49BF 4183 )

1:30:38 (ARCGIS) Disabling 3 licenses from feature desktopAdvN(0686 4471 3FA4 0688 )

1:30:38 (ARCGIS) Disabling 3 licenses from feature publisherN(0825 F8CA 41CD 73B4 )

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarylHochhalter

So what we did to solve our issue was to use the MAC address rather than the Cloud Instance, even though their instructions say to use the instance if it exists. Not really sure why that is, but works fine since we made the created a new license file with the change.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

It's safe to say the issue is not with ArcGIS Enterprise.  It's specific to the license manager.  The service thinks the host ID doesn't match the one defined in the license file, but that is not the case, the host ID listed in the log is identical to the one in the license file.  That is odd and the first time I've heard about it.  

You mentioned about upgrading the license manager.  What version of the license manager did you had installed and what version did you upgrade to?  While we're asking, what is the Portal for ArcGIS version?

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter
Ok, so the enterprise portal and server versions are 7.0, I believe we had License Server Admin 2019, then 2020, currently 2021. I think the license server got upgraded each time as a dependency for newer versions of ArcGIS Pro being used. One thing we have recently tried is inserting a new service.txt file with just 3 lines, then reauthorizing the named user licenses for portal using the json. Upon logging in this morning that didn't solve the issue. I still had to log onto the server and reread licenses, then it works at least for the day.
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We've been experiencing the same exact problem. We were only using Concurrent Licensing without issues. A few weeks ago we decided to add some Named Users into the mix. We had this issue the next day and it has occurred every day or two ever since. We were using Server Admin 2020.0 with our 10.8.1 Enterprise and once we started to experience the issue we then upgraded Server Admin to 2021 with no solution. 

I've been working with Esri Support to try to figure out the issue. IT said there are no programs running overnight. There are no relevant Event Logs. 

Esri support has directed me to https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000009080 but it's not quite the same because our HostID matches.

0 Kudos
BrianSimonsen1
New Contributor II

We also have this exact problem on an customers setup. Just restarting the license server service resolves it. No errors logged in debug log, audit log or eventviewer.

I have a scheduled task restarting the service every night, this solved it for a while.

First saw the problem with the named users for ArcGIS pro (via portal server), but now also with regular ArcMAP.

I don't really wan't to reconfigure for MAC address. Also this can change at the whim of the VMware managers.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, I would preemptively reread the licenses before I left every day and this would usually work for a while. But there wasn't a specific time or time interval this problem would happen. Usually it seemed like every 24-48 hours but sometimes it could just be a few hours. So rereading wasn't a permanent fix.

I worked with tech support to find out that we did indeed need to use the MAC Address, but we also needed to change the servive.txt file to contain the MAC Address as well. It was kind of wonky but it's been working for several weeks now without issue. 

0 Kudos
bsanders69
Occasional Contributor

We have this problem about once a week...usually on Monday after backups, scripts run over the weekend on the VM Enterprise machines (7 virtual servers that make up the 10.9.1 Enterprise).  If someone from ESRI could chime in here, that would be great.  It seems that we have a mixed bag of mostly negative results, but no clear guidance from ESRI.

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter

So what we did to solve our issue was to use the MAC address rather than the Cloud Instance, even though their instructions say to use the instance if it exists. Not really sure why that is, but works fine since we made the created a new license file with the change.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I guess you had to Deauthorize the Named User licenses and then create a new json for Portal using the MAC?

0 Kudos
DarylHochhalter

That is exactly what I had to do, and you'll notice after doing that the service.txt file is changed to reflect the difference on the SERVER line.

0 Kudos