Select to view content in your preferred language

Issues with column names during the hosting of a gpkg file

08-19-2024 01:49 PM
JoaquimOrnellas
New Contributor

I'm working with 26 GPKG files, each containing around 200 columns. These column names are often lengthy and include special characters like parentheses or slashes. I selected the GPKG format because it can handle long column names, but when I try to host these layers, portions of the column names are truncated after a certain character limit.

Additionally, I'm encountering error 000260 when trying to host GPKG files with parentheses or slashes. A workaround I found was to number the columns instead of using descriptive names, but this isn't ideal. I also tried manually renaming columns with the special characters and that worked, but manually renaming 5,000 columns is impractical.

Is there a way to host these files without losing the column names?

As a last resort, I could potentially modify my Python ETL script to rename the columns after hosting the web map?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey @JoaquimOrnellas 

I had a similar issue, but with far less columns. I created a Python script to work through the columns with a list of special characters to search for. Once found, it would replace the character with a valid character or alphanumeric value that I chose, maybe an underscore or similar.

Until I changed them, I was largely unsuccessful in uploading unfortunately.

Cody

JoaquimOrnellas
New Contributor

Hey @CodyPatterson 

Oh no... I was hoping that it could be another way, I have the file with column names as numbers but also as category, this last one would be ideal. As a last resort I'll use column names as numbers and add a variable catalog.

Joaquim